Vaguely on-topic: a good in-car music selection...

I've got in the region of 520 music albums on this pc and I'm sick of them all so what can I listen to in the car? Something a bit lively. Maybe a bit raucous. I reckon I've got everything I like already so what happens when you're bored with it all?

Suggestions on a postcard.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

In message , "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot" writes

Jethro Tull:- Minstrel in the gallery. I rolled my first car listening to that. I don't think I've listened to it since then.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

In message , Paul Giverin writes

....and from a similar era...... Focus:- Hocus Pocus. That was so far ahead of its time. Superb stuff.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

In message , "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot" writes

Radio 4.

Reply to
Gordon H

Jethro Tull, I shamefully admit, I haven't got. I will get some, although I'd rather not roll the Mazda...

I've got Hocus Pocus and Sylvia (the singles) but having now Googled them I discover that I had no idea Focus were Thijs Van Leer and Jan Akkerman (amongst others). A while back a work colleague, before I converted him to the wonders of the internet, asked me if I could find him an album by them and I *think* I ripped it and still have it somewhere. I'll have to find it now.

Good suggestions, that man, thanks!

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Found it! It's 'Focus', funnily enough, and I've never listened to it. I will now.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

It's a good suggestion but I tend not to spend a great deal of time in the car so an instant hit of 'wonderful' is what I likes. Double espresso rather than latte. I sometimes wish I drove more so that I had time to listen to whole albums/pieces in one go.

I'm quite heartened that both suggestions so far have been to my taste though :o)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Family or Alex Harvey? & a Pure Highway gives you a bit of random choice.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Well, since you like Paul's suggestion of Jethro Tull, read on :-)

I'm not going to list individual albums because there's so many but, as well as Tull, I have in my collection albums by such greats as:

Led Zeppelin, Moody Blues, Free, AC/DC, Bad Company, Cream, Emerson Lake & Palmer, The Who, Mountain, Uriah Heep, Whitesnake, Wishbone Ash, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Rolling Stones, Queen, David Bowie, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Status Quo, Alice Cooper, Yes, Ted Nugent, Tom Petty, Joe Cocker, Peter Frampton, Steppenwolf, Mike Oldfield, King Crimson, Genesis, Dire Straits, Sisters of Mercy, Guns 'n' Roses, Bon Jovi, Steve Miller Band, J. Geils Band, Traffic, and Rush, to name but a few - there are many, many more :-)

I'm also into great Blues artists such as:

John Lee Hooker, BB King, Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, T-Bone Walker, Robert Johnson, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Albert King, Wille Dixon and Little Walter amongst others.

Then there's a more eclectic side to my tastes consisting of:

Loreena McKennitt (you can hear samples from her Book of Secrets album here

Steeleye Span, Pentangle, lots of other folksy stuff and even Gregorian Chants and Medieval music. Have a look at this video of the Mediaeval Baebes (I'm going to see them soon, woohoo!)
Hope that gives you some ideas :-)

Reply to
Pete Zahut

Forgot to say, on the blues I'm also into John Mayall and the brilliant Joe Bonamassa :-)

Reply to
Pete Zahut

Happy Memories of the Marquee club c1962, and i have the tinnitus to prove it. :(

-
Reply to
Mark

In message , "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot" writes

To be honest I have found a local FM station which plays the stuff I like from the last 3 decades, but to calm me in stressful road conditions I might choose Classic FM. I suspect a few teenage fatal crashes happen to the sound of boot-bustin' bass...

Reply to
Gordon H

I have pretty much everything done by Led Zep, Queen, Pink Floyd, Sabbath, Deep Purple, Quo, Sisters of Mercy, G&R, Rush, and a good few albums of most of the others, but I've got some new ideas there, ta.

Blues does more for me than jazz, but... meh.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Oh you gotta like the blues, man - if not the older blues, at least have a listen to Joe Bonamassa (see if you can find an audio clip of a song called "Sloe Gin" - guitar work on that is superb. He got his first guitar when he was 4 and he was supporting BB King by the time he was 12). I'm just trying to learn to play guitar (and failing miserably - but now have a new-found appreciation and respect for anyone who can :-) ) and when my guitar teacher asked where my interests lie, I said rock and blues. Good choice, he said, 'cos they go together like milk and shakes :-)

Reply to
Pete Zahut

Joe Bonamassa - Sloe Gin -

Pete Zahut

I can listen to old blues but it's not what I'd choose for everyday listening. A lot depends on where you are and what you're doing, of course. I also like the old brass-section rhythm and blues (Blues Brothers stylee) but I never know what to call it. Soul? I'm not telling people I like R&B because that encapsulates far too much rubbish.

I gave up on the guitar a long time ago. My head knows what sounds I want but my fingers won't put themselves in the right places. I found OctaMed was much more my thing.

Rather splendid. Maybe Play & Amazon should have an 'Intelligent' genre?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Yeah, it is a difficult one that and I completely agree.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean there too. I don't ever see meself writing my own songs or being in a band or whatever, but I just fancy being able to knock out a tune or two at family BBQs and stuff. Right now, I'd settle for any sort of coherent noise that someone could even half recognise as a tune :-(

I found

As you said earlier, he's not too shabby on that there guitar is he? Bloody brilliant I reckon :-)

Reply to
Pete Zahut

A bit of folk-y strumming perhaps? I don't know what it is with my head but I just can't be bothered to learn things like chords any more; there's always something more interesting to do. I blame the internet.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

How did *they* find each other?? Definitely different though!

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

They all met at uni apparently but there's been a change or two to the original lineup. I think the girls in this video are the current members

All stunning and a brilliant sound - I think they're excellent :-)

Reply to
Pete Zahut