valve adjustment on 309 peugeot

The valve clearence on my 1990 1600 jubilee peugeot309 needs adjusting. I gather it gets done by fitting in the right size of shims Can someone help me as to how to remove shims and replace new ones. i've found some reference on the internet but none seems to fit this model. , looking at the exposed camshaft I can only see cam-followers but no shims. Any bit of information shall be apreciated. Thanks ahead

Reply to
giyora

in the absence of special tools for shim removal: measure all your clearances, remove the camshaft, if clearances are wrong remove the shim that is wrong size, measure or read the shim thickness, obtain a shim of the correct size, repeat for all wrong clearances, reassemble and recheck clearances. sometimes you may be able to re-use an incorrect shim on another location.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

The shims are inside the cam follower, between that and the valve stem.

Reply to
Brian

it is a long time since I did one!! so the only way on that engine is by camshaft removal (which is what I did at the time !! I assumed I did that in the absence of a special tool, evidently not)

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Thank u so much Brian and Mrcheerful so It seems like I have to take off the camshaft, which us ok. now but how do the followers come off?

and than where does one get replacement shims, do they keep them normally in stock? thanks again Giyora giyora =EB=FA=E1:

Reply to
giyora

=============================== Sometimes the same shims can be used in their original positions by turning them over. Usually the wear is between the top of the valve stem and the centre of the shim (a circular area matching the diameter of the valve stem). When the shim is turned over the valve stem seats on an un-worn area of the shim.

Of course if you can get new shims it's better to use them as there will obviously be wear in areas other than those described above.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

and than where does one get replacement shims, do they keep them normally in stock? thanks again Giyora giyora ëúá:

the followers pull out using a valve sucker or I would use an airline to blow them out. dealers will have shims or get them made by an engineering shop.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

thank u lads, so wonderful to have u around. I think this is all i neesed to know. mrcheerful . =D7=9B=D7=AA=D7=91:

Reply to
giyora