VANOS rattle.

'94 525i E34. 180k Pretty certain that a rattle on starting from cold that lasts for a few minutes is coming from the single VANOS, rather than from the hydraulic cam followers.

Apart from the startup rattle the engine seems in excellent condition. Pulls well. Quiet, and needs no oil between oil changes.

I could probably do the job myself, but would rather have it done by someone who has done the job before. So. Anyone have any idea of how much I can expect to pay to have the VANOS reconned, new seals fitted etc? Independant prices rather than main dealer.

AFAIK main dealers don't repair them, they just fit new ones. At a very high price. TIA. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G