Vauxall cavalier misfire

Have a 1994 cavalier 1.8 and it has a misfire.Have changed plugs,leads,fuel fiter,distributor cap and this has not helped.Could it be a problem with th central fuel injection unit? All help much appreciated Thanks

Reply to
vinney24

Where in the rev range does the misfire occur? Is it violent?

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

The misfire occurs around 2-3000 rev and is very violent almost like its backfiring.It mkes the whole car jault.

Reply to
vinney24

no misfire - you need a new catalytic convertor. current one is blocked.

Reply to
pete

Which is likely to be bollocks.

I'd check the coil myself.

Reply to
SteveH

If its a really aggressive misfire or infact a momentary total cut of the engine, i'd be looking at the coil and/or HT leads back-feeding the ECU and causing it to momentarily shut down.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

"pete" wrote

I doubt it, but if it is, then a piece of scaffold bar is quite good at cleaning them out.

Reply to
Knight Of The Road

Wife's Renault Magane did this, turned out to be a split vacuum hose to a mixture sensor. Replaced it (about £3.50) and all is well.

It seems the vacuum pipe goes to the engine map (so I've been told) and when it's split the vacuum varies between a normal mixture and one higher than choke, hence backfiring and a reallly serious feeling of juddering. First time we felt it it felt like a rear wheel or the whole axle had dropped off.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Put a match to it.

Reply to
Dr. Bizarro

Like most have said, it's 99% an HT issue (spark). A weak spark can be 'blown out' easily, and this is more noticable at higher revs with increased air flow.

This is a distributor engine, so replace the coil. It's pretty much standard across the Phase II Vauxhall (1.6 - 2.0 8 valve) engines. You can steal one from any 1.6+ Astra, Calibra, Cavalier, Carlton etc etc. Don't take one from a 1.0/2/4 engine as they are different coils.

P.S I presume you replaced the king lead (the lead from the coil -> dizzy when you replaced the leads?).

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

I have replaced the coil,ignition module,engine position sensor and this has made no difference.I have removed and tested the MAP sensor and this seems ok.When looking in the top of the fuel injection unit wjth th car running it seems like there is a lot of fuel sitting on the throttle plate.Could this be being caused by a faulty lamba sensor?

Reply to
vinney24