Vauxhall Astra Query

We have recently bought a Vauxhall Astra 1.6 SXI, 6 months old, on a 56 plate. We are very pleased with it, except for one annoying problem, which, surprisingly enough, the garage cannot seem to find the solution to. OK, often, when first starting in the mornings, on engaging the clutch and putting it in reverse or forward gear, the car will judder slightly and feel as though its movement is being impeded somehow. This feeling lasts for a couple of seconds max, before it trundles on its way quite happily. This event only occasionally re-occurs when the car is warmed up and in motion, but mostly the problem is noticeable after the car has been stationary and with the engine switched off for a few hours. I don't wish to cloud the issue at all, but the problem does appear to occur more frequently when it has been raining or when there is a lot of dampness in the morning air. This last point may not be relevant, but I thought it best to include everything for your consideration.

Any help will be gratefully appreciated.

Reply to
Derek White

it is a common fault: from a forum:

name is pete and for a few months i have had a problem with clutch judder on my astra h 1.8 sri when pulling away from cold on damp/cold mornings, i wont bore you with all the details but lets just say that vauxhall customer service didnt want to do anything to help me and refused to admit there is a problem!!! , i did get a case number raised and said i was going to take it further

I had my vehicle booked in today at my local dealer for a service and for them to investigate the clutch problem.

I have just had a phone call from a guy in the MD's office of vauxhall UK ( the place where i sent my letters, e-mail & faxes to!!)

He is writing me a lettter to say that vauxhall now realise that there is a problem and that new modified clutch material has been produced and tested and will be in the warehouse in the next 2 - 3 weeks, they said that i will get a phonecall from my dealer when the parts arrive and it will all be done under warranty

He also said they would not be calling back all vehicles concerened and that it will only be done if the customer brings the vehicle into a dealership and complains of the symptoms!!!

Anyway i just wanted to say a big thank you to all members as without this forum i wouldnt have known that this was such a big problem and would have ended up paying for a new clutch, i though it only fair that i join and post back my results.

Hope this gives you all something to smile about, also if there is any ref stuff on the letter i get then i shall of course post this.

Pete

Just got back from collecting the car from the dealer, vauxhall have told them that they will have to replace the flywheel as well coz it gets badly damaged from all the juddering, what about my back & spine!!

Reply to
mrcheerful

That was very very much appreciated. Thanks. When I pop by again, I'll bring a few beers for you:-)

Reply to
Derek White