Vauxhall Cavalier Overheating

Hi,

Can anyone help I have a K Reg vauxhall cavalier the car overheats on long journeys and the water level drops a lot there are no visible leaks, I have checked for cylinder head problems and all is clear. I have noticed that when the blowers are on the side blowers are warm but the right of the two centre blowers blows cold, any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Can't help with the first, but the last one, regarding central ones blowing cold, this was the "normal" operation for my Mk2 Cav.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

Sounds like Head Gasket to me...

Alan

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike" Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2004 10:02 AM Subject: Vauxhall Cavalier Overheating

Try flushing the radiator and change the radiator cap. Also look for perishing coolant hoses

Chris

Reply to
Chris Howarth

Mk3 Cavaliers too. I think the hoses come off, but I've never bothered to look.

The water must be going somewhere. It is possible that the leak only materialises when the engine is hot so have a look for water or steam jets while the engine is running. Also look under the car after a dry night to see if there is anything on the ground.

You might be as well just tipping a bottle of Radweld or similar into the coolant. It has been known to solve problems such as this.

Be sure to carry plenty of water and stop when the needle reaches red until you've got things sorted. Be careful about tipping cold water into a hot dry engine as this can crack the head.

Reply to
dp

Cheers for the advice, ran the engine and opened the bonnet, there was a leak in the coolant hose going from the bulk head to near the water pump, replaced this will see how things go! Is rad weld worth a look just in case, Ive heard that this stuff can cause more damage than good!

Mike

Reply to
Mike

No. Steer clear of rad-weld. If your radiator or any coolant passages are partially blocked, the radweld can totally gum them up, leading to unpleasantness.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

It won't do much for a split hose as these tend to get larger quite fast. I've had no problems at all using radweld, or anything similar, but I can see that someone who tips in a few extra bottles when the first one doesn't work could well make things worse. I would certainly use radweld again for a small radiator hole.

Reply to
dp