Vauxhall locks

Having got so used to remote central locking, I've only just found that my key won't fit the drivers or passengers doorlocks on my '99 Omega that I bought a few weeks ago. The remote locking and immobiliser work fine from the key, as does the ignition. I now vaugely remember the guy I bought it from mentioning something about the previous owner having to get a new key as well.

I'm now paranoid about getting a flat battery, as if it goes dead I have no way of getting into the car.

My question is therefore: Can Vauxhall make up a barrel to fit the key I have? (I also have a card in the car's owner manual pack which lists a number of codes, one with a mention of a code for a key I think - will this help them?) Any ideas how much it would be?

Thanks Paul

Reply to
Paul

Yes vauxhall can make them up for you at around =A350. Its not a big job to do it youself if you can get hold of a scrap lock or two from the scrapyard.

Ive made a few up in the past. The only difference between one lock and another is the combination of slats inside the lock. As there are only

4 different slats you only need a couple of scrap locks before you have enough to rebuild one. Once you have one in bits you will realise how to make a fresh one to fit a specific key(all the slats line up when key is inserted)

see here;

Kirky

that was on a 200 corsa by the way. Im assuming the Omega has the same Flat type keys?

Reply to
Kirky

It never occurred to me to butcher a few scrappy ones. Great idea!

As new shape Omegas were in short supply last time I was at the scrappy, any idea if the locks are pretty standard across all vauxhalls? It is the flat-type key as you mention.

Cheers Paul

Paul (nospam) wrote:

Yes vauxhall can make them up for you at around £50. Its not a big job to do it youself if you can get hold of a scrap lock or two from the scrapyard.

Ive made a few up in the past. The only difference between one lock and another is the combination of slats inside the lock. As there are only

4 different slats you only need a couple of scrap locks before you have enough to rebuild one. Once you have one in bits you will realise how to make a fresh one to fit a specific key(all the slats line up when key is inserted)

see here;

Paul

I seem to remember having the internals out of vauxhalls other than the corsa. Best bet would be to strip yours and see it the internals look like the ones in my picture.

Your only gonna need the springs/slats. I remember some locks looking different from the exterior but the internals were the same.

Reply to
Kirky