Vauxhall radio problem

Does anyone know the answer to a problem that I've had on the last two new company Astras I've had which my Vauxhall agents say is a commom problem but they don't know the answer to it !!! Doesn't that fill you with confidence?? The radio works fine for Radio 4, but when I change band to Medium Wave, I frequently have terrible interference which I believe comes from the transmitter for road speed. This is an intermittent fault and often switching side lights on and off several times will suddenly result in clear reception. It sounds to me like a bad earth somewhere but my Vauxhall garage are still persisting with the Radio as the problem.. TIA Phil..

Reply to
Philip Jones

Aside from the radio itself (unlikely), there are two common causes for poor MW reception (which is never absolutely brilliant in a car):-

1). Bad earth at the aerial base. There is a nut with a toothed washer which bites into the bodywork to provide a good earth. Sometimes a quick tweak with a spanner is enough to re-establish a good earth. 2). Break in the signal or screen part of the coaxial aerial cable that runs from front to rear. Sometimes, the fault lies in the connector that is used to join the front and rear sections of the loom. This can be overcome by installing a one-piece aerial lead, part no. 90513340. I have fitted many of these leads during my stint as an auto-electrician, and their fitment cures about 95% of all interference problems.

HTH

Anthony remove eight from email to reply.

Reply to
Anthony Britt

Have you any hints on a good way to route and install the new aerial lead. Thanks in advance. Brian

Reply to
Brian Saunders

Yes, this fix applies to your vehicle as well. The best route for the wiring is through the headlining, which makes installation easier and routes the aerial cable away from the majority of the wiring loom. Starting at the aerial base, go along the rear box section in the roof, along the headlining above the assist handles on the passenger side, down the 'A' pillar by the side of the windscreen and into the void behind the glovebox. From there it is an easy route to the back of the radio. If you use the lead I quoted in my other post (90513340, approx £12), then there will be some excess length which should be coiled loosely, cable tied and then fixed out of the way, avoiding other looms and the engine ECU, which is behind the glovebox.

HTH

Anthony Remove eight from email to reply.

Reply to
Anthony Britt

Yes my Vectra (and my Previous Cavalier) have the same problem. Curious to know if that cable re-routing was the real fix as surely, the previous poster's suggestion is the manufacturuer's method anyway. I suspect that something in the engine is emitting unreasonable amounts of interference. For the time being I've given up trying to solve this. In the old days (pre '95) you could buy high suppression plugs and they did help.

Reply to
Nigel R