vauxhall Vectra 1.8 Sri 2002 new shape Oil Problems/ Engine Symbol

I have a vauxhall vectra 1.8 sri with 71000 miles on the clock. On long runs I get the oil symbol come on. After checking there is no oil on the dipstick. I have filled the oil up ands i can't see any leaks and it doesnt smell like it is burning oil. Also the engine symbol in on constantly. Any ideas? Thanks

Reply to
shaun

You generaly won't see/smell oil being burned on modern cars, and if the engines had a hard life, which in a 1.8 sri vectra it most probably will, it'll be burning the oil.

As for the engine symbol, it could be one of several thousand faults. Only way to find out is to get the faultl codes read.

Reply to
moray

So the dipstick shows no oil on when this happens? And there's no smoke from the exhaust and is the clutch working OK? No leaks down the back of the engine?

Reply to
Conor