Vauxhall Vectra - or alternative 'bangernomics' estates.

I'm looking to spend =A3500-=A31500 on as tidy and late an estate car as possible with as few mechanical pit falls as possible.

Vectras *seem* a good buy and there are a good few pre-1998 examples local to me cheap.

Is the cost/effort of a clutch replacement a significant reason not to buy a pre-98 Vectra?

Are the engines (both diesel and petrol) interference engine in the event that a cam belt snaps?

What's the cost/difficulty of fitting a new cambelt?

Are the diesels cam chain rather than belt? How about the petrol engines?

Should any of the engines to be avoided?

What specifically should I be looking at when viewing a Vectra? (in addition to the usual)

What else should I consider and why? Astra? Mondeo? Escort?

Priority is cheapness, simplicity and 'popularity'. Spares will be coming from the scrappie so I want to be sure that I can easily find examples in the breakers yards. I want to maintain myself, I'd like to avoid the cost and/or effort of fitting a cam belt on day 1 of ownership and any large bills during ownership.)

TIA!

Reply to
Loubeelou

[...]

Get a 97-99 2.0 Nissan Primera if you can. If it drives well with no funny noises, the odds are it's perfect. No cam belt, and as long as it's had oil changes the chain should last well over 200k. They also don't rust and you just won't need a 'scrappy' as nothing ever goes wrong.

Reply to
Steve B