Vauxhall Vectra - Replacing Battery Sets off Alarm

I'm doing a friend a favour. Her car battery is flat, so I've charged it up. Now, when I fit it, as soon as both terminals are connected the car alarm starts off. How can I switch it off? She's not sure how. I've looked in groups, and can't find out how. I do have the key, but I don't know if the key battery is flat or not.

Thanks

Reply to
flexdream

this may be abit hit and miss, but, have you connected the bat then locked the doors and unlocked them.

Reply to
aussie bongo (*_*)

No, I haven't tried that. I wont be round at my friends till Saturday (it's Thursday today), so I can try that, but I'd welcome any other suggestions too.

Reply to
flexdream

there is another i can think of, after fitting the battery, turn on the ignition (but do not start the engine and make sure all doors are shut) then press one of the buttons on the key, it should then lock and unlock the central locking. thus programe the key to the car security devices.

Reply to
aussie bongo (*_*)

Looking at her key - when I press the buttons the red light doesn't light up, so I guess the key battery is flat. It's ages since I changed a car battery, but if this palaver is progress I'm unimpressed!

Reply to
flexdream

the battery can be bought from and cheaper from a computer shop, its a "cr2032" . its the same one used to keep the computer clock going after it is turned off

Reply to
aussie bongo (*_*)

IIRC, to prevent the alarm going off (both when disconnecting + reconnecting the battery), turn the ignition on, and then off leaving the key in (you want it so the ignition is off, and steering lock off).

Should that not work, just turning the ignition on once the battery is connected will turn of the alarm. Once the immobilizer picks up a recognized key code, it turns of the alarm.

***
Reply to
Moray Cuthill

Many do this at power up. If they didn't, all a thief would need to do is disconnect the battery then reconnect it and drive off.

Just disarm it in the normal way.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The one in a Renault Clio key is'nt !!

Dave

Reply to
gort

Of course not - it's French.

:-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I know, my mistake, must take more water with it Sorry guys.

Dave

Reply to
gort

Thanks for all the suggestions :)

Reply to
flexdream

you are welcome m8, but did any of them work ???

Reply to
aussie bongo (*_*)