Vectra 2.0L DTH Auxiliary Drivebelt tensioner question.

This is only a nitt-picking servicing detail question but, if anyone could advise, I would be appreciative of the depth of knowledge lurking in this NG.

On the engine referred to in the header in a 1998 (early) Vectra Estate, I recently found the belt squealing a little at cold startup (presumably when the alternator was heavily loaded. It didn't seem connected with the power steering position) and I would like to deal with it promptly to avoid having to replace the belt.

On examining, the belt tension was a bit sloppy, say 1+1/2" movement side to side under finger pressure on the longest run. So using Haynes manual, I rotated the tensioner pulley backplate using a hex socket to slacken the belt at first prior to tensioning it up. According to the manual, when I released the socket bar, the pulley should have been forced back against the belt by the spring unit That didn't happen - the belt just stayed slack. So I released the pivot bolt a little and the bracket then did return.

The pivot bolt seemed to have a central bush which maybe should have allowed this rotation to retake up the tension even if the bolt was tight...... Well that is my assumption and where I need experienced comment.

Should the tensioner be free to keep the pressure adjusted even though the pivot bolt is tight? Do these pivot bolts seize up? I have not trusted Haynes cut down manuals for many years so perhaps they just forgot to mention releasing the pivot bolt? I would have thought that tensioning adjustment should work continuously in the interests of low maintenance. Do I need to, for example, remove the pivot bolt and clean/grease the hole it goes into?

Advice from anyone who knows this engine would be appreciated as always.

Tony.

Reply to
Tony

Hi Tony,

The tensioner should be free to pivot on its mounting bolt with said bolt tight. The check for the operation of the tensioner, use the hex shaped lug mounted to the left of the pivot bolt to release tension from the belt by turning it anti-clockwise. Releasing the lug should allow the tensioner to resume its original position. If it does not, then the tensioner is knackered and should be replaced.

If the tensioner does not pivot around its bolt, then there could be a chance that it has siezed. There is nothing to be lost in trying to remove it and free it up, although I cannot remember if the bush is fixed to the tensioner and pivots around the bolt, or if the bush is static and the tensioner body pivots on that.

HTH

Anthony Remove eight from email to reply.

Reply to
Anthony Britt

That's just what I needed to know.

That is what has happened. When I loosened the bolt a couple of turns, the tensioner spring works O.K. so the unit is still good but the bush must be frozen - probably with corrosion..

I will take the bolt right out and clean it off.

As always, many thanks for your clear advice/instructions. I appreciate it. With modern vehicles it is sometimes expensive to rush in with old ideas when the knowledge is available.

Tony.

Reply to
Tony

cut here

I have had a good look at this now and the bush is held static by the mounting bolt, with the plate supposed to pivot on it. However the whole thing is fatally siezed up and so I have had to purchase a new tensioner assy including pulley, plate and spring unit. The vehicle is only 6 years old and there is nothing one could/should have done to prevent this happening. There is no facility to service or lubricate it and I guess there must be lots of them like mine out there.

Again, thanks for your input.

Tony.

Reply to
Tony