VECTRA 2.5 NOTCHY GEAR CHANGE

The gear change on my vectra 2.5 is not clean and smoth any changing down the box is worse gears can be difficult to engage at a standstill Iam suspecting clutch wear mileage is 96000 I have been told that the 2.5 is prone to box problems any advice please thanks

Graham

Reply to
WONGIEFLUFF

By 'clutch wear' you presumably mean clutch plate wear. If this was the case the gears would not be any more difficult to engage than before, so it's unlikely to be this. However, if the clutch cable (it has a cable, yes?) has stretched then the clutch won't clear properly when you press the pedal and the gearbox will still be rotating, making engagement difficult. The pedal should only go down about 1/2" before it starts to take up the clutch pressure. Much more than this and there isn't enough travel on the pedal to properly release the clutch. Tighten the cable until there is about 1/2" free play (or whatever the book says).

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob Graham

the 2.5 has an hydraulic system the slave cylinder is in the bell housing so unable to check this but it is not loosing any fluid

Reply to
WONGIEFLUFF

WONGIEFLUFF waffled on in a quite bewildering manner to produce...

^^^^^^^

Arrgh! I *HATE* it when people can't spell "losing". Drives me spare it does.

Then again, he owns a Vectra, so there's no helping him.

Reply to
Pete M

I never like to mention it, but now you have....

It's "LOSE" not "LOOSE" and "LOSING" not "LOOSING"!

I feel better now. *Scoffs a handful of dried-frog pills*

Actually, while we're at it, "TOO" means "in excess of" or "aswell", it is not "TO". Not that the OP mentioned this but it annoys me anyway and he probably would have done, given the opportunity ;o)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

^^^^^^^

While we are on the subject of clutches, what gets my goat is the increasing use of 'an' in front of a word beginning with a Consonant, as in the OP. Even journalists in 'quality' papers and television are at it. It must end HERE and NOW.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

The message from "Pete M" contains these words:

At least he ain't having trouble with his breaks.

Reply to
Guy King

Guy King waffled on in a quite bewildering manner to produce...

*ARRGH!*
Reply to
Pete M

This?

"has an hydraulic system"

Perhaps it's pronounced without the "h" the way that poncey people say 'otel or 'erbs? I've only ever heard mechanics call them 'ydraulics though.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Consonant,

Yes.

It should not.

the way that poncey people say 'otel

Like Lady Penelope's chauffeur LOL.

I've only ever heard mechanics call them 'ydraulics though.

Your years need stringing perhaps.

Huw No, the 'H' is NOT silent.

Reply to
Huw

'Oo?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

"Huw" wrote >

Did I print that? Oh dear!

Of course, I meant 'ears'.

Huw with a loud 'H'

Reply to
Huw

It's actually correct to use 'an' when the next word begins with an 'h'.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob Graham

Consonant,

Since language is dynamic, then its continued and popular use will make it so. It is not only used in front of a 'h' these days though is it? It's everywhere except where it should be, so it seems.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

True, and what is also eternally frustrating is the use use of the word 'criteria' rather than 'criterion'when referring to only one criterion, and the American habit of saying that something is an 'alternate' to something else, rather than an 'alternative' to it, and also 'the company say it will do something, rather than 'says'. The company is a singular object, albeit made up of a lot of people.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob Graham

though is

criterion, and

Yes indeed. No one seems to be taught the meaning and proper use of 'borrow' and 'lend' these days either. 'Bloody disgrace' I say. Our teachers and journalists must be either just about semi-literate or the least able are breeding like rabbits while the most intelligent are too busy doing other things.

Well, everyone now knows everything there is to know about clutches after this instructive discourse:-) There will be a test presently.

Huw

Reply to
Huw