Vectra Diesel - Starting Problems

Hi all,

I've had a good dig around previous topics and have managed to narrow down to a few causes but need a little help.

It's a 98 R reg and has 120k on the clock. There have been a few starting issues lately but it would eventually start after a good few turns. The problem started to get worse and eventually it would struggle to start on a warm engine left for only 10 mins.

However, now it won't start at all. We have turned the car over and over and also used easy start to no avail. I see it as possible the following problems:

- Spill Pipes or

- Injector seals

I have read a few posts and someone said they saw the fuel filter reservoir empty, which showed air was getting into the system - I have just loosened the nut on top of the filter to remove the lid but it starts to hiss (like air is getting in or coming out). I have decided to stop as I don't want more air to get in. Am I removing the lid/cover correctly or am I doing something wrong? Why is there a hissing noise.

The car is fairly old and not worth much so there is no point taking it to the garage - we have decided to fix it ourselves and will change the seals and spill off pipes once we get it started again. In addition is the injector seal change a big job - have looked at the Haynes and it seems straightforward although time consuming? And if we change the spill pipes how do we bleed the fuel system of all the air - will turning over the engine do this?

Finally it is parked on an incline (engine up) with a 1/4 tank - would this cause a problem?

Thanks for you help folks.

Rgds, D

Reply to
De

just change the spill pipes, this will fix the problem in 95 per cent of cases, it is also very cheap and straightforward to do with few tools needed.

Reply to
mrcheerful

Thanks! That's first on the list.

One last thing I forgot to include - I removed and tested the Glow plugs (which were fine) however they had engine oil on them. The car has never burnt blue smoke out of the back bit this was a lot of oil. Could this be part of the problem as well?

Reply to
De

parked on an incline you say, had one in last week vectra diesel, parked on a steep hill with very little fuel, put it on the recovery truck flat ground and fired up after a few turns of the engine, been fine ever since.

but they do sufer from injector seal problems as well.

Reply to
reg

Just a paire of long needle nose pliers and hope all the old pipe comes off the injector when you pull on it. Else removing the broken end is abit of a c*nt!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Small cordless drill, and 3mm drill bit is your friend in such cases ;-)

Reply to
M Cuthill

Took the fuel filter cap off and it is about 1/4 full. Put the lid back on tried to give it a start and it nearly started. Took the fuel filter lid off and again there was a hissing noise. Strange.

I will replace the spill pipes tomorrow and see what happens. I will also top the filter up with clean diesel.

Thanks guys

Reply to
De

The tank has a swill pot that might empty when low on a slope.

Reply to
mrcheerful

Thanks for your help folks. Spill pipes it was. But now we have another problem - but I'll start a new thread!

Thanks though.

Reply to
De