Vectra Handbrake USELESS!

Hi, all. Wife's vectra has a handbrake problem, 3 of our friends who own vectra's all have the same problem. All cars affected have the handbrake drum internally within the disc. Symptom - handbrake requires a lot of force to hold car on a downhill slope initially, but as car creeps approx. 6" the brake appears to lock itself on harder. No ammount of force at all on handbrake lever can stop it from rolling backwards. So far - disc/drums replaced, with all new shoes, return springs etc etc, system re-adjusted 4 times now to no avail, backplates checked for wear/distortion, cables replaced, everything possible checked including expander mechanism. Tried talking to 3 different vauxhall dealers to find out if there were any mods made over the years, all denied existance of the problem and offered no further help. (even though one of them knew all about the insurance claim after my mate's vectra rolled out of his drive backwards in the middle of the night, just after they had rebuilt his rear brakes!!!) Cheers, Badger.

Reply to
Badger

The Omega suffers the same plight too, I have to adjust my handbrake every few months or so. I too would like to be enlightened.

Dave

Reply to
Funkyman

In the six years that I worked for a Vx dealer, I have never heard any reports of these symptoms on a Vectra. All Vx handbrakes on rear discs have always been good, possibly too good.

There was a campaign to replace the handbrake cable from the lever to the equalising bar - a piece of cable about 30cm long. This came about due to one car in Germany having a fault IIRC. The cables were then replaced on all Vectras as a precaution. Cars from MY99 on were modded at the factory.

As most of the parts on your car were replaced, I can only suggest that the adjustement procedure wasn't carried out correctly.

HTH

Anthony Remove eight from email to reply.

Reply to
Anthony Britt

In article , Badger writes

Why not just park it in gear?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I haven't been driving for long (passed my test two or three months ago) and I always park in gear when I'm on a hill as a precaution, but does this cause any damage to the engine?

I know that it's better to damage the engine than to have the car roll.

I park my car on my road facing downhill every night, so it's in reverse.

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick

The message from Nick contains these words:

No. Your instructor should also have taught you to park with your wheels pointing towards the kerb if facing downhill, and vice-versa.

You're not the Nick Mooney I went to school with in Otford, are you?

Reply to
Guy King

If it's any consolation, my E39 5 Series BMW with the same system has a pathetic handbrake too - and I've had it totally apart and checked for excess friction etc, and adjusted it by the book. You have to use *a lot* of force to hold the car stationary on the level in drive. I now never use it, but just rely on park - even at traffic lights.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Sorry, but I don't believe you. A *good* handbrake should be capable of holding the car on a steep hill when applied by a six stone weakling. And I've not come across a drum in disc one that gets near this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Dave,

My E46 had a very good handbrake when I got it - I changed the discs but didnt change the hand brake pads because they were not very worn. ( BTW, I did degrease the drum ) . This made it much worse, however, after deliberately wearing the pads in, it has improved - but not quite to its former glory. I often wonder whether the old disc/drum had a nice grippy/rusty surface. I can hold the car on any hill I've encountered ( I am a 14 stone weakling :-).

Steve

Reply to
sro

Dont know if this is related but I had a similar incident with an old Fiat Uno releasing its h/brake when left alone. ( Old Unos have pretty crap h/brakes ). It turned out to be that the h/brake floor mount had cracked due to the excessive force needed to apply the brake. This allowed the floor to deform when applying the brake - later the floor clicked back down, releasing the brake. I had to weld and strengthen the mounting point to fix it.

Steve

Reply to
sro

Seems to work on my exhousemates & his wifes 3 series.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

The last three Vauxhalls I have owned had the drum in the disc handbrake, and I have never experienced any problems with excessive effort required to apply it or ever had it not hold properly. The only times I have had problems with these handbrakes is when they are not adjusted properly, and the handbrake comes up about 12 clicks, or when the shoes have glazed up due to being driven with the brake on.

Due care to give an example of your experience with these handbrakes, rather than just dismissing mine with some theoretical statement?

Anthony Remove eight from email to reply.

Reply to
Anthony Britt

Funnily, BMW recommend you drive with it on for a short distance if you're experiencing problems. It's actually in the handbook. Mine works best when it's rusty. ;-)

I must admit to not having tried the Vauxhall version, but was basing my comments on the belief that it is near identical to the BMW. And that several MOT places have said that none of these types of handbrake are more than just barely adequate.

Perhaps one of our MOT testers who read this group would comment?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Badger waffled on in a quite bewildering manner to produce...

Yup, Vectra handbrakes are always useless, bit like Vectras really...

Reply to
Pete M

The wheels do aim to the pavement when I park, yes.

Kent, I'm afraid.

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick

The message from Nick contains these words:

That's it. If it starts to roll it'll touch the kerb almost immediately and stop.

Otford /is/ in Kent!

Reply to
Guy King

I would agree with that - the handbrake on the Cavalier was deadly if used whilst moving after washing the car! ;-)

Reply to
Anthony Britt

Oh, I thought you meant Oxford.

No, it probably wasn't me, but you may have heard of me before because I'm famous*.

--Nick.

*probably don't know me.
Reply to
Nick

The message from Nick contains these words:

So famous I mistook you for the Nick Mooney who went to Otford School in the 70s!

Reply to
Guy King

Wasn't me love. But for a small fee I'll be anyone you want me to be.

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick