VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR WORKING??

Hi,

I got my gear box changed recently, a different type of gear box was put in ie not identical to my original ( a left hand drive one possibly).

Anyway all is ok except my speed indicator in panel isnt working.

MY van is a 1998 190L. In fact I looked under neath and fixed a cut wire from the speed sensor and made sure it was in tight and flush so the plastic pinion could mesh with the sensor , to produce current.

On going for a test spin , I did get a reading of speed on the instrument panel but it was about half the reading it should have been ie at 30miles per hour it was reading about 15milesper hour.

then after 10 mins the reading went to zero and is like that always.

i think there are maybe to problems.

1) I need a pinion with less teeth

2) the speed sensor is banjaxed

Has anyone had this problem where the speed indicated was about half the actual speed. Could it be that inside the speed senor it was only generating half the current it normally generates, due to internal winding break!!.

Am going to a scrap yard and will try out another speed sensor

Would like to hear from any one with ideas, or similar problems cheers

Eoin

Reply to
EOIN

It would help if you had actually told us what vehicle it was, but thankfully I know a 190L is an old style transit.

All transits used the same MT75 gearbox, however different vans were fitted with different ratio rear axles. When fitting a different gearbox, you always fit the speed sensor from the original gearbox. There are numerous speed sensors available to suit the different rear axle ratios, which is why you always refit the original one provided it was working when the gearbox was removed.

By the sounds of it, the new gearbox either has a faulty speed sensor (I don't think the rear axle ratios vaired by as much as 50%), there is still a wiring fault, or the speedo head is faulty.

Reply to
M Cuthill