Vibration Under Braking

I have a 1995 N-reg Vauxhall Corsa that when under heavy braking vibration can be felt from the front passenger side wheel. I have jacked up the wheel and play can be felt if held in the 9 o'clock -

3o'clock position but not in the 12 o'clock - 6 o'clock position.

There are no apparent sounds coming from it to suggest the wheel bearings when driving and there is no play in the front drivers side wheel. The wheel nuts are tight.

Does anyone have any ideas as to where to start?

Reply to
Colin Copland

Track rod end, steering rack. With an assistant wobbling the steering look/feel the track rod end to check for movement. If it's not there it's probably the rack/rack mountings.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

could well be a warped disc

Reply to
Jon Reynolds

??????

Reply to
Conor

I thought the same, until I re-read it and saw there *was* play in the wheel.

They everything became clear!

As someone else said, rack or track rod end, but just take a look at the whole area. IIRC, I had a similar problem with a worn shock or a loose bolt where the shock was clamped to the hub.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

The message from Conor contains these words:

Sadly, too.

Reply to
Guy King

had to re-read a few times for some reason for it to sink in that there "was" play in the wheel....doh

Reply to
JonnyBoy

I finally managed to get the car up on some axle stands at the weekend and i'm pretty sure the top n/s ball joint is shot. There is noticeable movement when the wheel is wiggled.

Is it a big job to replace one? Is it best to replace both sides if one has gone?

Reply to
Colin Copland

The ball joints not difficult but it hasn't got a top ball joint, do you mean the track rod end? In which case if you've got a taper ball joint splitter the only tricky bit's resetting the tracking.

Reply to
Duncan Wood