vinegar in screen washer bottle

Now there is no more snow and ice (London) I've stopped using my Decosol screen wash. But just using plain water, I find leaves the screen a bit smeary.

It's been suggested to me that I put a bit of vinegar in with the screen water. Is this a good idea? It occurred to me that vinegar being acidic might well rot the rubber on the wiper blades?

Any suggestions that others have found a good remedy? thanks.

Reply to
JWBH

Cleaning the windsceen with a good glass cleaner or meths or vinegar would normally get rid of smearing due to greasy deposits on the screen. Clean the wiper blades with meths or vinegar also helps

Tony

Reply to
TMC

I seem to remember buying some green stuff once in a shop but I can't remember what it was called...

Reply to
adder1969

broccoli?

Geo

Reply to
Geo

No that really does smear.

Reply to
Brian

Fairy liquid. I find 3 or 4 drops in the washer bottle helps to cut through grease. Don't put in much more though!

Reply to
Icky Thwacket

Don't use plain water! It will cause a build up of a slimy, nasty mess that will block pipes, nozzles and eventually the pump. On the same basis, don't use any normal domestic product.

Proper screen wash solution contains a mild biocide that prevents the growth of nasty substances. If you are desperate to save a few pence, dilute it more in the summer than you do in the winter.

If you must chuck something else in, try around 5% methylated spirits.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

My washer water had smelt pretty foul for sometime, even after cleaning it out.

I read in here about using Milton and so pumped it out completely then put in two capfuls of Milton and topped up. I used that normally and the smell went immediately, since when I have refilled with 5% washer additive as advised for the summer and it's been fine ever since.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

Well done, you've answered my question before I even posted it!

My washers topped working, thought the pump had failed, even though I could hear it doing something. On emptying the water tank I noticed lots of 'slime' (algae I guess). What's odd is the washer water was quite blue due to some kind of additive but either it didn't do its job or the algae was there before.

Know any good ways to clear blocked nozzles? I've tried pumping air through them but one nozzle is still blocked.

Reply to
pjlusenet

Take the pipe off the nozzle and either clean it out or replace it. Washer pipe is readily available from most motor spares emporiums. Clean the nozzle with a pin.

Reply to
Brian

Thanks. I must be a wimp. I tried pulling the pipe off but it wouldn't budge. I did wonder if it was glued on or something. I'll give it another try.

Reply to
pjlusenet

Don't do it.

I have, when I was young, broke and stupid.

It contains salt, which is a *really* bad thing for cars.

Reply to
SteveH

the plastic shrinks onto the connections, a little warmth releases them easily. the jets are too fine for a pin, but a strand from a wire brush will fit. I usually operate the washers while clearing the jet, which blows out bits of junk and shows when it is really clean.

Reply to
MrCheerful

And I`d bet has left you wet more than once :-)

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

the jets are too fine for a pin, but a strand from a wire brush

a single strand from a toothbrush is an easy thing to find

Reply to
JWBH

In news:ZV%Zh.8042$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe7-win.ntli.net, JWBH typed: | Now there is no more snow and ice (London) I've stopped using my | Decosol screen wash. But just using plain water, I find leaves the | screen a bit smeary. | | It's been suggested to me that I put a bit of vinegar in with the | screen water. Is this a good idea? It occurred to me that vinegar | being acidic might well rot the rubber on the wiper blades? | | Any suggestions that others have found a good remedy? thanks.

If it was good enough for the crucified Christ it should do for your screen wash !

Reply to
Baldoni XXV REX ROMANORUM

In message , Baldoni XXV REX ROMANORUM writes

On that basis you should hammer some bloody great nails through the windscreen

Reply to
leo

That will sort out the need for screenwash, anyway...

Reply to
PC Paul

Especially when related to your signature... :)

Reply to
DervMan