Volvo 240bulb warning light

Hi Folks,

When I start my 240 the bulb failure warning light on the dashboard comes on. I have double checked, and all lights are working. The warning light seems to know this at heart, because it goes out after 5 minutes or so. I presume it's a bad connection somewhere - anyone got any bright ideas about tracking it down?

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

No-one's replaced a bulb with an LED cluster, I suppose? These draw such a low current that they set off such warnings.

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

: > When I start my 240 the bulb failure warning light on the dashboard : > comes on. I have double checked, and all lights are working. The : > warning light seems to know this at heart, because it goes out after 5 : > minutes or so. I presume it's a bad connection somewhere - anyone got : > any bright ideas about tracking it down?

: No-one's replaced a bulb with an LED cluster, I suppose? These draw : such a low current that they set off such warnings.

No - all quite standard. Just to show my ignorance, how does the Volvo system sense a blown bulb?

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

I don't know which bulbs are on when the day driving lights are lit on a

240, but check the front ones are the same brightness as each other. My 740 lit two bulbs in each sidelight on day driving (then down to a lower wattage single bulb on sidelights) and if one of them developed a dodgy earth connection, as Volvos are apt to, one looked considerably brighter than the other and the bulb warning light came on.

The first thing to try is cleaning/scraping the bulb connections in the bulb holders then making sure all relevant earth connections are clean and tight.

I did read up on how it detected bulb failures but it was so dull I've forgotten it. Sorry.

One of my taillights used to regularly set off the bulb failure light, I'd go round the back and thump it and the light would come on again. No amount of cleaning/scraping made any difference at all.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

It measures the resistance in the circuit. Check if the correct bulbs are fitted. 5w tail 21w indicator and that no 24v fitted. Check number plate light.

John

Reply to
John

: It measures the resistance in the circuit. Check if the correct bulbs are : fitted. 5w tail 21w indicator and that no 24v fitted. Check number plate : light.

Ta. I haven't changed any bulbs, and I surprised myself by remembering to check that both number plate lights came on!

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

This happens from time to time on my 740; invariably it is one of the front daylight running lights playing up.

The rather technical solution of giving the lens a tap sorts it; I guess the problem is a slightly corroded bulbholder or one of the bulbs in its dotage and not drawing as much current, if you examine yours closely you may notice a difference in the light output.

The rear bulbs are not subject to road spray so don't cause this intermittant warning.

If you need to change the front bulbs it is reccommended to replace both to avoid imbalence

Reply to
Steptoe