Volvo 940SE Automatic - overdrive relay

I have just purchased an "H" reg Volvo 940 SE (2l petrol) automatic.

I have an orange arrow on the dash that tells me that the overdrive is disengaged. However pressing the tit on the gearlever has no effect - also I still have 4 gears (or 3 gears + overdrive)!

So, the tit is not operating the relay and even if the relay is operating, the overdrive solenoid is stuck.

So, can you help me with:

  1. Where is the overdrive relay (physical location - to save me pullling all the dash to bits!)?
  2. Where on the box is the overdrive solenoid?

Haynes is less than usesful in both these areas!

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

If it is the same as the old 240's (and there is not that much difference under the skin) it is likely that the relay is the bit not playing ball. This is located on a rack just above the heater controls (a relatively easy job to get to). They are prone to snuffing it, and give precisely the symptoms you are describing. Giving the dash a whack at this point may even effect a temporary repair.

If it this then the problem is almost certainly cracked solder joints in the little board inside the relay casing. 5 mins with a soldering iron and my old heap stopped misbehaving (well in the manner you describe) for the next 3 years.

Reply to
Mark W

Should add there are several relays on the rack - from memory (but not

100% sure) you want the large white one :O)
Reply to
Mark W

Relay identified, checked and removed. Soldering checked out OK (but resoldered anyway)

Still doesn't work - any more suggestions please.

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

Take it to alt.autos.volvo -- lots of advice in there.

Haynes is great, so long as it's the old black cover one, not the later blue one. If you have to, get a black 700 manual it's all much the same.

Reply to
Andy Dingley