Volvo High Miles

I might buy a 1999 V70 tdi Estate with 170000 miles on clock Full Main Dealer Service History. It is an auto classic. I want to tow a medium weight caravan as well as normal family use.

Is this a wise buy or am I asking too much from a car with this mileage.

Andy

Reply to
Capt T

I wouldnt touch an auto with this mileage unless there is documented history of ATF changes somewhere around 80k intervals. The autobox is a well known weakspot as Volvo do not specifiy fluid changes as part of the service schedule.

It wants to be on its 3rd set of injectors too.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Volvo independent services have never suggested an injector change. I get around 50 mpg and good acceleration just a bit of black smoke with foot to the floor in second gear What indications would I have that they need to be changed and at what sort of cost

Tony

Reply to
TMC

Andy

I'm looking at an S80 '00 2.5 d with 120k on it, it seems like a really nice car. Did you drive yours and did you notice any thick smoke when caning it ? Apparently this is normal.. ( think it's the same engine isn't it ? ) Injectors can be replaced, probably cost about 100 quid each ( that's a total guess ) for recon ones, don't forget there are 5 of the buggers though ! I think I need to get the price down a litle more on mine, although they did cost about 30k new ! That other poster must have been talking about a petrol one, the trip computer in the one I was driving was registering 40+mpg when pootling along at 30mph.. Simon

Reply to
mr p

Indeed, the 97-98 (not the 99 with ETC) V70 classics take some beating- far infront of the current shape V70.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

AOL! I'm well chuffed with my new old V70, it's a solid old luxobarge which is wearing its 165,000 miles well, if a tad noisily for various reasons.

Reply to
Carl Bowman