Volvo v40 2002 check engine light

Greetings

As per header, my Volvo v40 2002 1.8se engine light has come. Car drives fine, and looking at the manual, it appears that the light comes on mainly if there are emission problems.

Anyway I rang my local dealership and they tell me that just to hook it up to their computer will cost £75 (exc vat), and then on top of that any other work will be charged at £60 per hour excluding parts.

Basically they are cnuts, and it seems to be a total rip off, being that they're saying that only they can fix the problem.

My question is should I buy one of those code readers, diagnose the problem my self, and then fix it myself, if it's straight forward enough, and then reset the light with the reader/reseter gizmo, ie do they work?

Or alternatively find the fault with the reader, and then get local garage to fix it?

I've done a search and can pick one up for £40, it's a Ganden, if that means anything.

Any other suggestions,

Cheers

Jon

Reply to
jon

Dunno about Volvo, but my ODBII reader works fine for my Vx. But before you go out splashing money around, maybe announce the area of the country you're in, and see if any kind soul around here lives close by who would be willing to loan you theirs?

One other thing - whilst you might need the all-singing, all-dancing tech-2's and the like for the complete diagnostics, if its emission-related (hence ODBII) then I dare say most garages will have similar ODBII readers available and could pull the fault-codes rather cheaper than Volvo. Just a thought.

Reply to
Mike Dodd

In Leicester we have an independent Volvo garage which is brilliant and about a third the hourly rate of the main agent has all the diagnostics and know-how

Tony

Reply to
TMC

Cheers Mike for the suggestions,

well if any kind soul wants to lend me their ODBI for my volvo I will be extremely grateful, I live in Swansea (isn't it). I don't need the all singing jobby just the engine management light one.

I'm a bit stumped as to what the problem is, as the car is running fine, if it is an emissions problem, can anyone hazard a guess at to what the problem may be and the cost. The exhaust sounds fine, so do I have a problem with a filter, or maybe my jets are blocked, being very vague I know.

Jon

Reply to
jon