Volvo V40 Manual gear change problem

Hi.

Tested a Volvo V40 SE 2litre tonight and there was great dificulty engaging 1st gear and reverse gear.

On the Volvo owners club site I found the text below and wondered if anyone had any further info about it or whether or not this would be a free adjustment by Volvo ( I can hear you laughing already) or how much it would cost to put right.

The car is a nice drive and belongs to a friends daugher who has emigrated, I would like to buy the car if this problem can be solved economically.

from VOC Recently I heard of a case of a used S40 1.8 that was purchased with a mileage of 11,000 miles. The owner subsequently experienced difficulty engaging reverse gear without grating. There was also a stiffness when selecting first gear. He was told by the dealership that Volvo were aware of the problem and were working on it. Volvo Customer Relations were contacted and the owner was assured that a modification would resolve the problem. The work was duly undertaken by the dealership, which involved a very small adjustment to the gear selector gate. The owner was also advised that selection of first gear immediately prior to selecting reverse gear normally results in smoother gear changes ! In many cases, but not all, this achieves the desired result, but because of the random nature of the defect, the procedure must be followed every time reverse gear is required, if the box is not to be progressively ruined. In some instances recently the owner had to resort to pre-selection of reverse gear before starting the engine.

Reply to
Peter

Its a common fault on the Volvos, Mine is the same, There is a bush that needs replacing on the gear selector mechanism, When I asked a quote from the local Volvo dealer he told me to do it myself as it is only a simple thing to replace, and should take no mre that 20 minutes to do (I think the air filter needs removing to get at the selector bush) the bush cost less than a fiver. Its still sitting in my glove box at the momont, I'll change it when it gets realy bad.

Reply to
sirbensonofhedges

I spoke to Volvo today and was told it's a 20 min job and would cost £40

  • Vat as long as it is just the bushes. So it's not a massive amount to shell out, as long as it is only the bushes.

It's not my car yet and I would rather get Volvo to do it before I buy it rather than run the risk that it may not simply be the bushes and it is may be a considerable expense after I have bought it.

It was really difficult to get into gear so I don't think waiting is an option.

It's the first time I have driven the V40 and I quite like it, I've had

2,7 & 9 series Volvos and there has always been room to swing a cat under the bonnet, but the V40 is tightly packed. If you do the job yourself could you report back here how it went, any probs etc.

Regards

Reply to
Peter

Many cars which don't have syncro on reverse are easier to engage reverse before first. Sound like the gearbox is stuffed on the one you drove. 2.0 is not the best choice anyway, walk away and find either a 1.8gdi (that's had the cams / followers done) or a 2.0T or T4.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

if it's a volvo dealer car the warranty is excellent.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

If trying to select a gear from rest results in grating, it can be

*nothing* to do with the gear selector mechanism. It means the clutch isn't clearing properly. And there could be several reasons for this from faulty design to wear and tear of various components or even oil leaking onto the clutch.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Tell me about it!

'98 V40 2.0T - just try changing the Driver's side headlight bulb, especially on a dark night! The washer water filler pipe completely obstructs the removal of the headlight backing cap. Probably the same for all S40/V40 models of the same vintage.

Reply to
RichardS