Volvo V70 D5 oil leak

I have a 2004 V70 D5 on 195,000 miles. Manual gearbox.

I've discovered an oil leak, but I'm not sure of the source. There is oil down the back of the engine, which collects on the lowest points and drips off. Looking from underneath the oil seems to start around the level of the turbo, so my first guess was the turbo oil supply/return pipe gaskets, but I've removed the heatshield and all is clean.

There is a small access slot to the back of the flywheel, and there is an oily film on it, however looking up into the small hole at the bottom where the engine meets the 'box it seems clean - I would expect that if it was coming from the main crankshaft seal for that to be it's main escape. From what I can see around the rocker cover, that is clean too, and a finger poked into the 'blind' areas reveals nothing. I can't see much of where the camshaft exits the top of the head (drives the fuel pump IIRC) but there isn't any oil on top of the 'box that I can see. So far I havn't removed the airbox etc to get a better look round there. At the other end of the engine (cambelt area) there are a few oily marks, but as the filler on the head is at that end they could be from spillages.

Any ideas?

Reply to
AlanD