VOSA inspector - what do they do?

There's been one down at Johns Cross roundabout on the A21, East Sussex several days over the last few weeks, on the southbound side.

He doesn't have a van, so I expect there's one parked 1/2 mile further along the A21 and he radios ahead with descriptions to pull.

But what's he likely to be looking for?

Smokey exhausts - that's a obvious candidate. But as you usually don't have to slow down below 20mph at that roundabout, it would be hard for him to see the state of the tyres or much else beyond extreme decrepidness.

Not only, but if he does give you the eye, you have a choice to take the right fork off the A21 roundabout towards Battle and there's not much space down that road for a van + a pull-over spot.

Just curious what they do...

Reply to
Tim W

overloaded are easy to spot, missing lights, broken mirrors/glass, insecure loads, dodgy number plates, pykie trucks running red diesel, anything that pings on the anpr, lots of choice really, people in that job have a 6th sense of vehicles that are dodgy.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Mrcheerful wibbled on Thursday 14 January 2010 11:54

Yes - I wasn't thinking of the little things, but you're right - there is a lot of stuff there.

Although he didn't appear to have any ANPR gear - in fact he seemed to have nothing, prolly a radio under his jacket.

Reply to
Tim W

If there are any fixed cameras nearby ANPR could be operating on that, or from a parcel shelf of a nearby car etc, nowadays it is only a small camera that is required.

Reply to
Kipling

Kipling wibbled on Thursday 14 January 2010 12:28

Yes - there is a tiny service road nearby - I suppose his car could be parked there with the camera pointing out the back. I was expecting something more obvious on a tripod, but I guess the wonders of miniturisation...

Funnily enough, the GATSO that used to be near there has gone, to be replaced by a radar triggered "30" warning sign (a course of action I applaud).

Reply to
Tim W

We used to get stopped a fair bit in Glasgow. They checked the lights, cursory emissions, operation of the brakes, obvious balljoint wear, general MOT stuff and would probably have weighed the vans if it looked like we were carrying anything.

Never been pulled when in a car.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Anything that will fail an MOT.

Reply to
Conor

Seen one in Slough. A WPC standing on road waving in some older cars, especially dirty ones which shows that the owner don't care. They were directed on the forecourt of a bingo hall. Looked like they checked steering slack, brakes (work or not work) lights and lamps.

Reply to
johannes

That is not entirely accurate. Any vehicle that has the MOT test and is issued with a certificate is warned that this is not to prove a vehicle is roadworthy at any point after the test has finished. There is no requirement to have an MOT at less than 12month intervals for normal cars and vans, but there is a requirement to keep a vehicle in a good state of repair, so VOSA could be challenged over the legality of their stop and test procedures. Don't confuse the obvious MOT test cerificate with vehicles in a bad state of repair, vehicles that are overloaded or vehicles without a road fund licence etc. They are very different and one doesn't mean that there will be another problem. VOSA can only advise that a repair is carried out on a vehicle if it has previously passed the MOT within the last 12months. The powers they have are fairly restricted, but the general public are not aware of what they can and can't do or when they are acting illegaly. I suggest you check with VOSA if you do not understand what they are looking for or when. You will find they have a hit list of popular vehicles and types of driver, a positive discrimination system similar to the one used by police.

Reply to
IanT

My car is filthy at the moment, but the windows are clean. I would need to wash the car and wax it each day considering recent weather conditions. You are a complete idiot! VOSA have very little power, that is why the police were there.

You are quite funny, I hope you don't drive or they might need to do a check for people with mental illness who shouldn't be driving! One of many groups of people who shouldn't be in a car. It's not always about a car, it is sometimes the driver who is incapable of controlling it in a reasonable manner due to drink, drugs or disability.

Reply to
IanT

IanT wibbled on Friday 15 January 2010 21:40

Do they actually have the power to stop and inspect without a police presence?

For that matter, do HMRC, when they do tank dipping? (Or has that been handed over to VOSA?)

Reply to
Tim W

I agree with you that there are too many mentally deranged drivers out there. As you also have found out; it takes one to know another.

Reply to
johannes

so you may well have filthy number plates, easy to spot and an easy nick.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I can safely predict the Tiscali idioy doesn't know.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

You're assuming he's allowed to drive a car.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

If you want to post uninformed bilge you could always read the construction & use regulations 1st then there's a chance that you won't sound like an idiot. It's a pretty slim chance though.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

If it's been devolved to them e.g.

Duncan Wood

In message , Tim W writes

VOSA, possibly not.

I think you may be surprised what powers some HMRC staff have (notably the C bit of HMRC, the R bit is generally a bit weedy in comparison) although they will probably work in conjunction with the police when out tank dipping because the red and veggie users are good candidates for no/fake insurance/MOT/VED they definitely don't have to.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

true, true.

anyway, of course, to the OP the vosa man may also have been watching for dodgy number plates, vanity plates, damaged, etc.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Duncan Wood wibbled on Saturday 16 January 2010 02:22

Ah. Wonder if Sussex have done that, or Kent. I'll have a look.

They ought to publicise this stuff - I'd normally tell a non police office trying to stop me to go away...

Reply to
Tim W