VW 2.5TDi engined vehicles: any problems to look out for?

I'm going to look at a Caravelle 2.5TDi with 240k miles on it, in the next few days with a view to buying. Apart from the usual servcing and cambelt/tensioners/waterpump stuff, are there any particular 'issues' to look out for with this engine/gearbox? (I don't usually work on diesels at all) cheers for any links or info. JB

Reply to
JB

Yes, airflow meters last about 60k-70k, injectors should be changed every

100k or so, otherwise there is a significant danger of oval bores, and high oil consumption / smoke / lack of power.

I would expect to find weak syncho's on the gearbox at this mileage too, unless its habitually been driven by a mechanically sympathetic driver.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Good 'haggling' info. Cheers, JB

Reply to
JB

Cracked /porous heads are expensive & not very unusual.

Reply to
Duncanwood

That does sound nasty. I spoke to the seller last night and he told me of possible vacuum pump problems and also that the engine fault warning light indicates after about 6 miles or so driving. He cannot tell me if it's also had cambelt/tensioners changed recently either. I think I will have to knock a good few hundred quid of his asking price!

JB

Reply to
JB

The MIL lamp and vacuum pump problem could be connected- the ECU uses vacuum to control the EGR and turbo boost, if the pump is flagging the ecu will notice low vacuum and pop on the light.

Sounds like you ought to find a lower mileage car where the previous owner has a clue about previous servicing!

tim..

Reply to
Tim..

eak syncho's on the gearbox at this mileage

Check if the heads ever been changed. If you're into diy (& running a

240000m one otherwise is probably mad) then buy VAG-COM & you can pull the fault codes before you buy it.
Reply to
Duncanwood

Head(s) plural? I've got an OBD2 interface and have downloaded the VAG-COM software already. Thanks.

JB

Reply to
JB

You should purchase it for nothing or less then?

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Sorry "head's" :-)