VW Golf - starting problems

I have a 1990 Mk2 Golf which has been giving me some weird starting probs recently. When I go out to my car in the mornings and I turn the key to start it up, the starter turns VERY slowly about 3 or 4 times then all of a sudden the engine fires to life and everything is fine. I thought it was the battery as it was quite old so I replaced it (the starter motor was also replace just over a year ago) and for a day or two everything was fine. Then it started doing it again. I've checked the output from my alternator and am getting a reasonable 13A so doubt that this is the problem. Then to compound matters, the other day I turned off my engine and then tried to start it again straight away (gap of only 2 or 3 seconds) and the starter just turned over and over and the engine failed to start. I had to wait a few more seconds and try again and then it started straight away. Any suggestions???

-- David Speir (remove NO.SPAM to reply)

Reply to
David Speir

In message , David Speir writes

Bad earth?