VW Polo auto mpg?

HI all,

An elderly couple I sometimes help out with stuff have just bought a:

VW Polo twist auto 1390 cc 2003 64K miles

And he said his first 20 quids worth of juice (what ~15 L / 3.3 gal?) have taken them 75 miles? ~23 mpg?

Now, I know that's not very scientific or accurate etc but assuming it's even close does that sound anywhere near right to you?

I asked him if he might have been a bit heavy on his right foot but he said no, in fact was 'taking it easy'?

I'm also guessing it's not a diesel or he would have said and those figures would be super bad.

His question to me (and hence to the panel) is is this a 'known' symptom of anything going wrong rather than it just being typical for this particular model please?

So far I've only been able to offer , outside a genuine issue, 'air filter, oil quality and tyre pressures' but unless the filter had never been changed or all 4 tyres were at 10 psi I wouldn't have thought even that could account for such results (assuming they aren't correct etc).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Not un common with a small car on a auto box. Also from what I understand is that top of the tank is bigger than the bottom which explains the faster petrol useage a the bottom end.

Reply to
Pete

On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 20:27:11 +0100, T i m wibbled:

Old school auto, smallish engine, cold weather, elderly driver. Yep, sounds perfectly normal to me from limited prior experience.

Reply to
Mike P

Those autoboxes aren't the best, so while it seems a bit excessive, it's not ubelieveable. Best to do a brim-to-brim test to be sure: I'd expect it to get closer to 30mpg.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I think he intends keeping a closer note of fuel usage, this was just the first run and I think he was a bit surprised how low it was.

However, I'm not sure how much research he did re mpg (probably just 'assumed') and it was possibly a bit of an impulse buy as 'she' needs something to get about in (he's also got an old van).

They just asked me to keep an eye out for 'something small and auto' but found what they found themselves (thank goodness). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m