VW servicing

Hi, I have a Y reg vw passat diesel estate. It is seviced and mot at the same dealers. I put the car in for annual service a week ago. The first problem they found was splits in the CV boots. When they tried to remove the cv joints etc they said it was all welded with rust. This has happened in under 12 months. Is this possible? Joe

Reply to
joe

So the CV joints were remove less than 12 months ago? Why?

Reply to
gazzafield

I suspect the poster is suggesting that the dealer found nothing wrong at the last annual service/MOT, and now finds a (sharp intake of breath) job that need doing urgently? Depends what's welded (seized), is it usually the hub to the splined drive shaft?

Reply to
PSOE

For information, from the sharp intake of breath, this is normal then and I should just pay up and be happy. It is nuts and bolts that have seized, I was informed. Thanks for the quick replies Joe

Reply to
joe

It's called corrosion and even happens on German cars.

Reply to
gazzafield

Yes, but they're not particularly big or expensive bolts. And you're supposed to replace most of them anyway, as VAG don't trust their dealers to apply threadlock.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I'm not an expert on these cars, but if it's nuts and bolts, then it is probably the ball joint nuts that will need to be released to swing the hubs from the drive shafts. It's possible the splits have happened within the 12 months (although) usually only one splits, not both.

The sharp intake of breath is commonplace with garages I find, if the boots ARE split (have a look) then they need to be replaced ASAP as water/dirt in the CV joint itself will wreck it.

Reply to
PSOE

Update to all of the above. I called at the VW agents to pay the bill, this has now reduced to =A3300 from =A3500. They have come clean and said it was their fault that the defects were not picked up, and the resulting damage could have been stopped. All's well that ends well. I guess I will not be going back for anything else. Joe

Reply to
joe