VW Transporter Bleeping

Got an old trusty diesel VW Transporter it has started bleeping 2 days ago like a warning tone but we cannot find anything wrong. It will let you start the engine without making the tone but it appears to come once once you have reached 20 mph but this is slightly random & sometimes you can get to 30 mph before it starts. It's very characteristic of an ABS fault but the van doesn't have ABS. Any clues anybody?

Alan...

Reply to
Phaeton

Strange. Are all the dash warning lamps working? Might be worth taking the dash out, and checking all the bulbs are working first.

Reply to
moray

Dose it have a headlight warning buzzer? There could be a fault in the unit or low oil pressure sometimes has a warning beep as well.

Reply to
Depresion

Just been & checked there is no oil light, only just noticed as I have a oil gauge fitted. Could this be it, if so any idea why it waits until you start to move before it comes on?

Alan...

Reply to
Phaeton

What model/age of transporter? T4?

Reply to
moray

Not sure of model it's a P plated 1997?? 1.9TD does that make it a T4? Sorry

Alan..

Reply to
Phaeton

Not that I know of, or at least if it does it's never worked. This is oil pressure, on start up high oil pressure 80 Lbs+ we thought it might be high oil pressure warning, but it still comes on later when warmed up & pressure is lower.

Alan..

Reply to
Phaeton

Think that should make it a t4 (is it the same shape as those produced upto

2003?) If you open the bonnet, is there a small push button switch (about 1/2" round with black rubber grommet on top) around the area of the o/s (driver side) hinge? If there is, disconnect it, and bridge the two terminals with a bit wire. If the instrument cluster doesn't see that the bonnet hasn't been opened in a certain time period, it flashes the oil pressure light, with the intention being that the driver then checks the oil level. And the bonnet switch is known to seize. I'm not sure when VW added that feature, but certainly everything from 2000 onwards had it.

Failing that, there's a t4 forum/owners group where you'll most likely get better help.

Reply to
moray

Are you reversing?

Reply to
ThePunisher

At 20 mph? or even 30.? 5 is tricky for most people

Reply to
MrCheerful

Well you never know, wasn't there a car that could reverse at the same speed as going forward?

Reply to
ThePunisher

Leyland DAF vans could and most bike engines kit cars can as well. Geometry is all wrong so they aren't all that stable.

Reply to
Depresion

Older VW vans with swing axles on the rear could sometimes go much faster in reverse.

They used basically the same transmission as the sedans, but had outboard reduction boxes on the rear axles. These reduction boxes reversed the direction of the drive (giving gearing reduction as well as increased ground clearance). So when a mechanic assembled the differential like a sedan transaxle, the van had one forward gear and four reverse.

John

Reply to
John Henderson