VX flip remote compatibility and programming

Just bought a 2006 Vectra (new model), but only got one key fob. I'd like to get another key remote, but don't want to pay Vauxhall dealer prices!

A quick look on ebay seems to suggest there are two types - Delphi, and um. something else. I've got a Delphi remote. Two questions therefore spring to mind:

1) Is it safe to assume that any Vauxhall, flip style, two-button Delphi remote will work with my car?

2) Does anyone know the procedure for programming (presumably) the car to recognise the key remote?

All help appreciated!

Thanks

Paul

Reply to
Paul

ITYF it's not possible without programming equipment.

Never, ever buy a modern car with only one key!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Main dealer only then?

If I at least pickup a cheap remote and ask them to program it?

Cheers Paul

Reply to
Paul

Many high street key-cutting companies now have the facility to interrogate and program keys. That might be a cheaper solution, although when I enquired at Timpsons for a Ford one, the price was the same as a dealer would charge.

I suspect you won't find a cheap solution; please post to the group if you do!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

In message , Paul writes

They'll probably refuse. There are companies that can program them for you, some of the better auto diagnostics companies can do it but the kit required isn't cheap so I'd not expect it to be a case of backhanding the tech a tenner.

If you're in or around Manchester I can recommend a place that should be able to do it (I think, I'll check with him later).

Reply to
Clint Sharp

The high street places can clone some keys. Notably *not* VAG ones: I found an automotive locksmith that was a little bit cheaper than the stealers.

Not sure what it's like with a Vauxhall, but with VAG cars, it can be done with VAG-COM in some cases if you have the SKC number which comes on a plastic tag with the keys from new.

Reply to
Chris Bartram