VX Omega DOOR Lock playing up when cold

Dear all.

It's getting to that cold time of year again, and the damned car is at it again:

I have a V plate 2000 Registerd Vauxhall Omega V6 CDX. On these cold mornings, the drivers door lock doesn't quite open from the key fob. This means you can't open the door. If you then put key in the drivers door lock and turn the mechanism that last little fraction all is OK. This also happens when the car has been standing for a while - so things cooled down (incl me !)

It's just as if the mechanism in the cold just can't quite throw the metal rod which connects to the inside door catch far enough. It doesn't sound like it is sticking and the central locking motor seems to move the lock mechanism with ease and vigour as the other doors.

It only happens in the Cold, and has happened every bleeding year, and gone back to the VX Garage every bleeding year. I have had the car from 12 months old, and it always does it.

Has anybody else had this problem ??? And how is it fixed ???

Thanks in advance,

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

Get in and start the engine first to warm it up !!!!!! Seriously, sounds like a lack of lube on the rod, or corrosion. I had an old volvo that did this, oiled the rod where it went thru the plstic guide clips, then discovered that the rod had oxidised aluminium style and had a rough surface that binded in the clips. A quick brush with a fine sandpaper and another lube did the trick

Stuart.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Sounds as if you need a new locking mechanism for the drivers door. I have replaced many of them in my time, there was an issue with manufacturing tolerances I believe, the problem was then exacerbated by wear and tear. A new mechanism is neither extortionally expensive or difficult to fit.

HTH

Anthony Remove eight from email to reply.

Reply to
Anthony Britt

Thanks for the note. I assume when you mention " .. neither extortionally expensive .. " we are NOT talking about a Dealer Price here !!

What would you consider to be a "Reasonable" price ??

Reply to
Andy Smith

These things tend to be pretty voltage sensitive. I'd check it's getting full battery volts - could be a poor connection somewhere. The proof might be if it's ok with the engine running while still cold.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I am referring to the dealer price, as that is the only background information I have! When I last fitted one about 2 years ago, the lock mechanisms were about £40+VAT. I thought that was quite reasonable seeing as they are quite a complex piece of mechanical equipment.

You could always go to a scrap dealer and get one, but there are no guarantees that you will get a modified one, and the same fault may re-appear after a while.

HTH

Anthony Remove eight from email to reply.

Reply to
Anthony Britt

My 98 Omega done the same thing, I took the door panel off and cleaned out the part where the plastic button slides through the hole in the top of the door panel. Lubricated with silicon spray and it has been ok since.

Reply to
Steve