VX "Pads low" message reset

Just changed the front pads on my 94 Omega. The warning message to tell me the pads are low is still present.

Is there some kind of reset procedure to get rid of the message?

Thanks

Reply to
Paul

Did you renew the wear indicator wiring?

moray

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

On a BMW, which uses similar brakes, assuming you've changed the sensors, leave the ignition on for a couple of minutes without starting the engine resets the light.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You need to replace the wear indicator sensor too.

Reply to
Alan Steele - Steeles of Worthing

Which if they are anything like the price they were on my old Carlton will be pretty expensive. I brought the Vauxhall dealership to a standstill with my cry of 'HOW MUCH?!!!!'. I ended up just disabling the circuit and tied the cables back and checked subsequent wear the old fashioned way.

Vin.

Reply to
Vin

About a fiver each from Eurocarparts.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I was quoted a darn site more than that and this was back around 1987. I don't recall the exact figure but it was enough to instill 'Shock and Awe' in me that I would be asked so much for a couple of poxy bits of plastic with wires in. Actually quite a few of the check control systems on the Carlton packed up over the years. None of which I felt justified the cost of repairing them. Good grief... I can check coolant, brake fluid, washer fluids, etc. myself. These things are nice to have but seem to cost a disproportionate amount to fix when they go wrong. The way things seem to be going it won't be long before the car refuses to start if your washer bottle is running a bit low.

Vin.

Reply to
Vin

I'm assuming they're the generic type used by Vauxhall and BMW. Of course, if this was an early application, they might not have been available on the aftermarket then, and dealers often price things according to what they think the market can stand.

There's nothing intrinsically expensive about any of these sort of sensors. Just plain old profiteering by the dealer or maker - so nothing new there.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ironically if you check the brake pad wear and "catch" the brake pads before they wear down enough to allow the sensor to be triggered you can re-use the sensor! It does sort of defeat their point!

Will

Reply to
Will Reeve

I put new ones on my Omega last year and cost me £4.34 each from the Motorworld chain.

Dave

Reply to
Rebelrouser

What, by ear? :-)

Reply to
PM

No. I have always found the 'When the pedal hits the floor make entry in diary "Check Brakes"' method works as well as any other.

Vin.

Reply to
Vin