W/screen replacement

Hi,

Having had Autoglass screw up windscreen installation on older cars ( not glued in screens ) that I've owned, I wondered whether there was anyway to minimise the risk of a screen change.

To be specific, having talked to Autoglass, a glued in screen replacement involves removal of old glue and debri, repair of damaged paint work ( with "special primer" ) and careful glueing in of new screen. As you can see there is plenty of scope for cutting corners leading to minor ( undetectable ) leaks and corrosion of the screen surround. This is what really worries me.

Informed opinions/experiences ??

Steve

Reply to
sro

Older cars don't generally have bonded in screens apart from Fiat who introduced them with the 128 way back around 1968, with other manufacturers following in the early 1980s

Screen pillar corrosion usually starts from inside the box section, replacement of bonded in screens usually dosen't cause any problems. Getting the old bonded screen out is usually best left to the guys with the most practice at it, they are also generally pretty good a putting an adequate bead of sealer on.

Reply to
AWM

I have an 87 Saab 9000, which had a screen replacement early in it's life. This was done extremely badly, and has resulted in a large amount of rust around the window (inside and out). This is the only rust on the car, which is otherwise spotless (galvanised, no rust).

So I think it is certainly possible to screw up a creen replacement. I think with mine they just didn't prime the bodywork correctly having scraped off the old sealant.

Reply to
Grunff