Water leak Pug 206sw 1.4 petrol

Just driving home and there is a water leak with the temp' gauge going up slightly.

The leak is in the middle of the car right at the back of the engine. The inside of the car is dry. I can't see anything wet at the top of the engine and the rads' themselves seem ok.

I'm hoping it's just a hose but can't get under it to check.

Any ideas? I can't get it in a garage until Monday now.

Also is there any way I can top the radiator up to make it last until Monday? I can't see how to do it and the header tank seems full anyway.

Thanks

Reply to
Joe 60

How big a leak? Oil or water?

Oh, does it have aircon?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Thanks Chris. It's water and yes it does have AC.

Reply to
Joe 60
[...]

If you were running the aircon before you stopped, are you sure it's not just condensation from that? It's very humid ATM.

Take it round the block with the aircon off, and see if it still does it.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Right I'd guess about a pint of water came out. Maybe two.

The header tank is still full with no water missing.

Yes the AC was on. I'll turn it off and see what happens and report back in an hour or so.

Reply to
Joe 60

Well. I went for a 10 mile or so drive with the AC turned off and everything seems fine. On the way back I turned the AC on and that also seems fine now. Temp' gauge reading fine.

When the leaking was happening I was sitting in a car park with the engine and AC running for 10-15 minutes.

Do the AC units frost over then defrost? That is the only way I can understand what happened but it was quite a lot of water dripping, at least 1 pint.

Reply to
Joe 60

Good.

It wasn't leaking; it was condensation.

What happens when you take a cold bottle of beer out of the fridge? (If teetotal, please substitute your favourite!)

Have a look here:

particularly at the end of page 3.

It's surprising how much mess even a small amount of liquid makes if you spill it; the quantity you saw may have been less than you think. It's

*very* common, but because it is unusually humid in the UK moment, more noticeable.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Thanks for the help Chris. Just been for another run and the same results. Absolutely fine and the drive is bone dry. You obviously know your stuff.

Reply to
Joe 60