waterpump failed - how long b4 car gets too hot?

Without the waterpump working, how quick will car get too hot? The gauge seems to go up quick but the engine doesnt feel hot.

Reply to
Tim

Very quick indeed. Without coolant circulating through the open thermostat, you can expect the engine to be boiled in less than 15 minutes.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

What happens if the engine gets boiled?Cracked head gasket? Just seemed strange the needle was almost into the red but couldnt feel any warmth from the radiator and was no hot air coming in from the heater.

Reply to
Tim

the coolant is there to take heat away from the engine through the radiator to be cooled , it will still get hot with no water in it, the gauge will still register a temperature.

Reply to
reg

Quite possible, as well as the possibilty of seizing the pistons in the bores, which is likely to mean a scrap engine.

Thats because the water pump is not working! You need the pump to circulate the water, it gets hot in the engine, the pump then pushes it through the heater, then onto the radiator, where it will cool down a little, then pumped back to the engine. It is quite possible to see the temp. guage staying close to normal with a faulty water pump, even though the water is boiling away - it depends where the temperature probe is sited, if at the front of the engine, quite low down, then it wont get as hot as one that is right at the top of the engine block. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

What would bubbling coming inbetween the rocker cover mean? I was told that it couldnt be doing that otherwise the car wouldnt move. They suggested it was just the spray from a pin hole leak from the radiator spraying coolant onto the cover causing that. But I am sure I saw a bibble and fluid escapiing, but it was dark and when an expert tells you something you begin to doubt what you saw.

Reply to
Tim

Are you for real? Of course the radiator and heater aren't hot - the water pump is not pushing hot water into them!

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

If you're getting no heat through the vents, either you've got no water=20 in it or a faulty temp sender.

--=20 Conor

I'm really a nice guy. If I had friends, they would tell you.

Earn commission on online purchases, =A32.50 just for signing up:

Conor