Weird central locking problem

My son's J reg 5 series Beemer has developed a curious problem. The radio has been resetting all the stations since the other night and now the central locking won't work. Took him an hour to get it opened on Thursday night! There is a retro-fitted alarm on there. I wondered how best to go about finding where the problem is...? Thanks...

Reply to
Jim

There is a thing called a fusible link somewhere - under the bonnet I think. It's like a big master fuse and I gather they cause havoc when they're on the way out, although it hasn't happened to mine. Also check the battery terminals are tight. The battery may be under the back seat; just yank the bottom cushion up at the fron and lift it out.

It definitely sound

Reply to
Dan Buchan

There is a thing called a fusible link somewhere - under the bonnet I think. It's like a big master fuse and I gather they cause havoc when they're on the way out, although it hasn't happened to mine. Also check the battery terminals are tight. The battery may be under the back seat; just yank the bottom cushion up at the fron and lift it out.

It definitely sounds like the battery is being disconnected anyway.

Reply to
Dan Buchan

Thanks Dan, I'll have a look...

Reply to
Jim

Spot on...

The fusible link was corroded and broken under the bolt holding it down!

Cheers!

Reply to
Jim