Weird noise whem I turm headlights on!

Could be a dicky relay.

Reply to
Conor

Hi, My car is a Nissan Sunny, circa 1993. When I turn the headlights on, I hear a noise that sounds rather like radio interference (even thouigh the radio is turned off) - a sort of irregular rasping buzzing sound. Anyone advise what that might be, and the remedy? I sounds like it is coming from somewhere to the right of the steering wheel.

Thank you,

Jim H

Reply to
Jim H

could be a headlight left on warning buzzer. we had a customer who had her car for years and all of a sudden the headlight left on warning warning buzzer decided to kick after years of not doing anything.

Reply to
reg

The headlight warning buzzer on these cars is a peculiar erratic buzz. It should go away when the engine is running though.

Reply to
Steve B

Thanks. This was the first thing I suspected too.

Thanks to the other respondees. I'll try changing the relay. If that doesn't work I'll try to figure out how to disconnect the warning buzzer and se if that makes any difference.

Jim H

Reply to
Jim H

When I was having the brake pads changed yesterday, I asked my local mechanic to listen to the noise. He confirmed that it was the relay making the noise. He said the relay was making the noise because there was bad continuity in the circuit feeding the headlight somehwere. However, he was unable to find the exact location of the fault. He tried removing and replacing the headlight bulb and a couple of fuses, and fiddled with some earth connections but to no avail.

He also pointed out that one of the headlights is not coming on properly.

Anyone suggest how I can trace the problem?

Thank you.

JIm H

Reply to
Jim H

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Hi Bill,

No - I noticed that the one thing he didn't try was to put a new relay in! I was tempted to suggest it, but he seemed to know what he was doing. I will have to try that.

Jake D

Reply to
Jake D