Weird Noises ?

Fiat Ulysse 2ltr petrol manual 90000 miles.

Last year at a wheel change I discovered the shaft boot had split with grease everywhere.It was replaced by a garage and when I picked it up the guy said they had to remove the shaft to fit the gaiter but not to worry as they had "topped up" the box afterwards.

I have just noticed a strange background noise when travelling at 45 / 60 a bit like road noise in that it has a deep note that remains the same if I "coast" the engine. It can come and go a bit at motorway speeds but it is definitely there.

Going back to the repair - if they didnt top up the box to make up for some oil loss could that account for the noise as in some sort of gearbox differential problem ? Can anyone tell me how to check the gearbox level as I cant see a drain / filler plug anywhere.

Anyway of tracking elimating sources of noise if you all think the gearbox is unlikely?

Any info ideas gratefully received...

Reply to
Capt T

looking at the end of the box from under the wheel arch there is a large head 'bolt' at the end cover, this is the fill/level plug, remove it and dip the oil using an Allen key, if the level is within a half inch or so of the correct level, then that is not your problem. I would go round and spin wheels and listen for noisy wheel bearings, as this is more likely, but check the oil anyway.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

I don't know your car but if this is a CV joint boot that you are talking about then I will bet that your CV joint is making the noise. You probably didn't catch the split boot quick enough to save the CV joint. Bummer eh! My car is making a sound like fingers drumming only continuous. RRRRRRRRR sound. Is that noise similar to yours?

Regards, John Crighton

Reply to
John Crighton