Weird radio interference

The car is a 1996 Passat TDi - i.e. a deisel.

The radio interference is a clicking noise, present in weak FM areas, which is solely dependant on road speed. It speeds up as I go faster.

It continues even if I switch the engine off

The only electric device I can find related to the transmission is the sender for the speedometer. I tried disconnecting this and it made no difference.

I am stumped.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Chris Melluish

I doubt that would produce a click - more a whine. Other things that actually *produce* a signal proportional to road speed could be the ABS sensors. Other possibility some form of static discharge - that is likely to give a click rather than whine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Try running a good earth between the metal body of the radio and the car body- you'd be surprised how much that can help.

Reply to
Partac

I don't have ABS.

-- Chris Melluish