welding gas bottle hire.. suggestions

At the moment i have an X sized cylinder of argoshield light hired from BOC gasses, (for the mig welder) I'm about to return the cylinder due to ridiculous price hikes.. it's now £45 a year for the hire, and about 40 quid for a re-fill.. luckily i only go through one a year.

but that's way too much for me to be happy paying.. especialy when you get the bill and find out the gas was only about 25 quid, the rest of the charges are made up of delivery.. to the distributor.. not my house.. i collect them, there's now enviromental charges and everything.

So i've told boc they can have their cylinder back,

I'm now looking for an alternative, i live in Grantham.. lincs, i keep getting fliers for 'gas direct (cellar gas) ltd' through my door, their fliers always have the argoshield light bottle option crossed out, but htey do pure argon which will do, and they claim to be cheaper, no rental charges, free delivery etc,

But they never reply to e-mails for a price, and going to their depot is like fort knox.. your told by signs your not welcome, and to bugger off basicaly.

Anyone got a bottle og welding gas (mig) from them?? able to tell me the rough price,

Or can anyone recomend another supplier in my area.. we have Chandlers oil and gas, but when i asked last time, the woman on the desk didn't really know much about the gases they sold.. could only guess there'd be monthly charges, re-fill charges and so on, couldent even give me a bottle size,

I'm not going back to those disposable bottles halfrauds sell, 4 of them and i've got the boc bottle price.. and the boc bottle holds 30 times more gas than 4 of them cylinders.

Any suggestions welcome,

Reply to
Hairy Arse

You can try airproducts, cellar gas/ welding gas suppliers all seem to still run on the telephone, just ring them up.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Personally I use straight CO2 in a food-grade bottle which costs £11 form Gas&Hire. One bottle has lasted me over a year so far and that's got me through most of a 5kg reel of wire - two full Mini restorations at least. I couldn't get on with Argoshield, at least not in the disposable bottles, and find straight CO2 welds better.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

air products are usually cheaper, but they don't do the same argoshield as boc, you cannot use argon for mig welding steel, the cheap alternative is co2, but the quality is poor compared with argoshield

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

The message from Chris Bolus contains these words:

I'll go with that for thick stuff - angle iron and the like, but bodywork sheet and CO2 don't mix for me. For that I need argon mix.

Reply to
Guy King

For thick stuff I go back to the old stick welder. MIG for car bodies. The results are on my car pages; no holes and never more than a skim of filler!

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Sounds interesting. Could you supply contact info. Website or address etc? A quick google didn't come up with anything helpful. TIA. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Ive never got on with straight Co2 myself.. even welding thick stucc like the 3mm thick plate and square section when i was building an off road buggy to race, the argon mix always gave a better weld.. less splatter etc.

Bottle's going back to BOC tommorow.. and that's the end of that, shame i can't use pure argon for steel, otherwise i'd have tried gas direct, maybe i'll have to try chandlers again, see if i can get someone who knows what their talking about,

How does the air products argo shield light differ from boc's?? i think boc's is 90% argon, but there is apparantly another argoshield that's even more argon.. and another that's less argon, more Co2,

I just weld mild steel, but sometimes some shitty old rusy crap, where argoshield seems to really help when i am too lazy to run the grinder over the metal first.

Reply to
Hairy Arse

The gas proportions are varied according to the likely use, the air products version is alright (just not IMO as good as BOC), just ask for the one suitable for your most often done type of welding.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Pop down your local pub & ask.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Googling "Gas & Hire" (with the quotes) returns no website for the company, which appears to be just in Sheffield/Doncaster/Mansfield/Chesterfield. I would have thought any local gas supplier could do the same. Ask where your local pubs get their gas from!

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Thanks Chris. Will do. Mike.

Reply to