What are brake caliper pistons made of?

Any ideas? Looks astonishingly clean to say it's been in a caliper for 15 years, but it's picked up a lot of hard to remove crustyness on the exposed section behind the dust seal, which makes me unsure as to whether it'd be stainless or mild steel.

Reply to
Doki

They are usually hard-chromed alloy steel/mild steel. I've got aftermarket stainless pistons in one of my bike calipers and they are great and virtually maintenance free over the winter. If any of the bit you say is 'crusty' needs to be pushed back as far as the seal area when you put new pads in, then it's time for a new piston. JB

Reply to
JB

I was thinking a bit c*ck eyed. The crusty bit is the part outside of the dust seal.

Reply to
Doki

That's ok then. A quick clean up with scotchbrite, some non-mineral based grease and pop the buggers back in again.

JB

Reply to
JB

Gizzan example of a non-mineral grease. I'm struggling to find specific brake grease.

Reply to
Doki

It's does exist - something like rubber-ease or something. Oh, hang on, might have gotten my catalogues mixed up.....

Reply to
adder1969

part no: 184-7967 This what I've used for ages. JB

begin 666 newSmall.gif K1TE&.#EA`0`!`( ``/___P```"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$```("1 $`.P`` ` end

Reply to
JB

"JB" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Tut, I say, tut :-)

Reply to
Tunku

On my SD1 the originals were chromed steel. Which had a life of about 15 years in my case. The replacements I got are stainless steel.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ask for rubber grease. It's usually bright red. Brake grease is often high melting point stuff for greasing handbrake linkages etc and not to be used on pistons.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've said it many times and still never seem to learn that 'cut and paste' will be my undoing......

JB

Reply to
JB

ceratec

Reply to
mrcheerful

Chapman. Pretty sure I must have got it from Fittapart.

Reply to
asahartz