What BMW engine puts out about 180+ hp and is reliable?

Following on from my previous thread, I am no longer looking at the

528 as I've seen so many with overheating problems in my price range.

I can't afford a really new car, my *max* spend is about 2.5k. But I want a BMW with a decent amount of poke, an auto box, 4 comfortable seats and an engine that won't release it's innards. As many toys as possible would be nice, cos I'm greedy.

Not a 3 series. Not a 40 / 50 engine, too much thirst and tax.

So a 530 or 535 I suppose. Whats good and whats not please?

Reply to
Mike Barnard

Slightly rusty examples of either are out there. If you can't afford the tax on a 540 though you're buying the wrong car.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Can get a nicely restored GSI3000 24v for that price....only snag (for you) is it a Vauxhall....;-)

Reply to
Paul

The old cast iron 3 litre was pretty bomb proof - but anything fitted with it will be getting on a bit, as it will be early '90s. All the BMW V-8s are less reliable than the sixes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Wife had a 525SE. 190k on the clock and ran absolutely silent even though it ran on 0W/30 full synth oil. Front suspension bushes were always going though.

Reply to
Conor

Again, thanks for the thoughts.

Reply to
Mike Barnard

Indeed. Nothing wrong with the M52 if you look after it.

Normally last about 80,000 miles or so.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)