What holds the connecting rod on to a Fiesta clutch pedal?

My dad was out in my 2003 Fiesta yesterday, and had to call the AA because the clutch pedal suddenly stopped working. AA fellow went into the footwell, and placed a cable tie into the bar that sticks out at right angles to the pedal, thus holding the rod (actuator, whatever) on to the shaft. It's holding for now, but I don't think it will last for more than a few weeks without coming off again. I can't find any trace of what used to hold it on, and I'm guessing it's going to be a starlock washer. Is that correct? I can't see any scratches that might indicate that there used to be one there. Perhaps there has been nothing there all this time?

Reply to
Georg von Krapp

Originally, there was nothing to hold it in place. There was a recall to fit a plastic clip, but it's not unknown for these to fall off!

AA/RAC usually carry the clips, and often add a cable tie as additional security. Perhaps that's what has been done here?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I had a look this morning, to see what had happened, and there is only the cable tie. But my dad says the AA bloke said I should get a clip if possible. I was just wondering what had been there all along. I think I'll just stick a starlock and a washer on it.

Reply to
Georg von Krapp
[...]

Yep, it's what I'd do.