What lubricant to use when replacing Track Rod Ends?

I replaced my track rod ends 6 months ago but didn't use any lubrication on the threads.

I have now been advised by my garage that the rods are seized and that they can't do the tracking, they said they gave it a bit of heat but didn't budge.

I assume that my best plan of action is as before, spend a while heating them up and hitting them hard with a hammer so that they have loosened off, and then take them back to the garage to get them to lubricate them and adjust the tracking.

does this sound about right?

thanks.

Reply to
Heds

I always use copper slip on track rod ends - have done on every set I've ever changed. Makes life much easier.

As for removal, use large quantities of penetrating oil before heating them. Not WD - something like plusgas.

Reply to
Grunff

Doesn't heat tend to fatally damage track rod ends? Did on my old Cavalier thanks to a muppet workshop manager with a blowtorch and ended up with the car half way across a pavement - fortunately there was no-one on it at the time.

Reply to
Carl Bowman

loosened off,

If you can, take the bolt out and put it in from the other side. Place a strong piece of metal in the gap and tighten the bolt. This will open up the clamp slightly so you'll be able to move it.

Reply to
adder1969

The message from Grunff contains these words:

I use it on just about everything. Smashing stuff.

Reply to
Guy King

Think he's probably trying to loosen the thread that screws onto the rack end, not the balljoint clamp. However that's a smart suggstion I'll file for next time I need it!

Reply to
Chris Street

It's easier just to use a balljoint splitter.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I was referring to situations such as this...

adder1969

Yes, thats the one, I can get the balljoint undone fairly easily.

Thanks though for all your replies, I have learnt to use lubrication next time I do the ends. Although disappointed but not surprised that there was no mention of this in the Haynes manual.

/Heds

Reply to
Heds

Ah right. Never seen a trackrod like that before.

Reply to
Chris Street