What size socket set for hub nuts

I have a broken wheel bearing and im going to attempt the job myself what size of socket set would I need to remove the hub nut

im looking along the lines of a britool set of impact sockets maybe from eBay my question would this be the correct size i.e. 1/2in and would the be up to the job

best wishes

Reply to
Andy

Andy (meeee@......com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

You're going to have to give us a hint, y'know...

Reply to
Adrian

Firstly I think you mean e.g., not i.e..

Secondly you wouldn't buy a socket set to do one hub nut, you'd buy the specific size socket and these vary from car to car. 1/2" drive would normally surfice though.

You're normally looking at between 24mm and 37mm deep sockets.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

oops

Sorry my original post composed without thinking. What I wondered was what size set would I buy to do the job 1/2in or 3/4in. The hub nut is 28mm as I don't have a complete set in any size I was thinking along the lines of a impact set probably a Britool set..

best wishes

Reply to
Andy

Well. I've hung on the end of a 1/2 inch snap on breaker bar when I've been working on agricultural machines. Probably not the best idea in the world, but that must be at least 600lbft of torque if not 700 odd. I'd get a cheap set of 1/2 inch impact sockets (tenner at a car boot) and see if they break...

Reply to
Doki

Most sockets break because of radial loads - like using an extension. So if going to high torques support the pivot point with a jack or whatever to remove side thrust from the socket.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You don't need impact sockets. 1/2" drive is the way to go though. The Halfords Pro ones are as good as any.

Reply to
Conor

Conor wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.karoo.co.uk:

And they are guaranteed. I broke two breaker bars in a row undoing my hub nut, Halfords replaced them without even a murmer.

Reply to
Tunku