What to do with a Cat heat shield

My cat heat shield rattles really horribly. I recrimped the edges (good old mole grips!) but within a few days it started again.

The heat shield is also completely corroded away in the middle (like every one I've ever seen). So not only is it rattling, it isn't protecting the cat from splashes, or long grass from the cat, like it should.

Short of replacing a cat that still works fine, how can I cover it up and stop it rattling away?

(And for the pedants amongst you, I am talking about a catalytic converter, not a feline furball generator..)

Reply to
PC Paul

Cut the shield off and (optional) weld a new one in place?

Reply to
SimonJ

I just pulled mine off on my escort a few years ago, never had a problem. Always avoided parking on long grass though!

Reply to
Dave Griffs

Had 2 escorts now and both have suffered the same rattling heat shields, ripped both off and never had any bother.

I did attempt to weld another one on the second time round but due to it being farily thin sheet metal it just belw holes in it.

Reply to
tollermccallum