Wheel arch

Hi,

Had an accident as I was driving passed a van. It reversed (gently) and caught my rears wing. The wheel arch (the lipped bit about two inches wide) has properly folded into the wing, it has multiple creases, and also got some horizontal gashing on the same area as I was moving forward (the wheel was caught etc) ... some gentle rippling on the wing. Car is SAAB 9-5, 4 door, 3 years old.

The question, and I am aware it is not possible to explain in words how much is the damage, is ... should I opt for a repair which involves straightening the wing (what the body shops that work with insurance companies suggest) or for a panel replacement (more or less full wing replacement) which the manufacturer suggests. Taking in account all the potential issues, what is the more correct repair? Fix existing panel or replace panel?

TIA C.

Reply to
Charles

Since a wheelarch is usually a complex shape, if the rest of the wing is in good condition and welded in place so not a simple matter to change, the more usual way would be to cut out the damaged part and replace it with a part cut from a new wing. Unless a repair panel is available.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)