Where can I find the types of lights?

Hi, I have a Mondeo Mark 2 and need to buy some new lights to it. But everyone refers to them as H1's, H501's, H7, etc. How can I find out what I need to buy? The guy in my local auto shop doesnt know anything about cars!

TIA

-Ben

Reply to
Wagg

What lights?

As you mention H1's it's possible you mean headlamp bulbs?

Why not try one of the following:-

Look in your owner's handbook. (And if you haven't got one, get one!)

Remove the non-working bulb, take it to your local "auto shop".

Find a better "auto shop" and ask there.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Wagg ( snipped-for-privacy@vigilante.org.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

(no idea if they're any cop, Google found 'em) suggests that it depends which "Mk2 Mondeo", and which bulb. If it's the facelifted original one (96-00), then H1 beam, H7 dip If it's the angular new shape one (00-02), then H7 beam, H7 dip

Halfords, is it?

Reply to
Adrian

Cheers. Its a '00. One side is one type of bulbs, and the other side is different, but the drivers side (the different one) was replaced from an accident several months ago, so I assume they fitted the wrong one!

Nope, worse, some one man band. He used to be an electrician....!

-Ben

Reply to
Wagg

...and when you get one, make certain you don't touch it with your fingers. Ever. hold it in the spongy stuff it should come wrapped in, or in a bit of paper/card/clean cloth. Getting grease on the bulbs drastically shortens their life. If they do get touched you have to clean them with alcohol, not just rub them with a cloth.

Reply to
PC Paul

Hi Chris,

I dont know where the handbook is, I am in the middle of a move. I bought the Haynes guide, but it lists loads!

Nearest bigger shop is a Halfords!

Reply to
Wagg

I used

and they were good. When I ordered the wrong bulbs for my A3 (The headlights vary, like above), they changed them for the right ones quickly and without any quibbles. To be certain, I'd take the old bulbs out and look.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Yes it does list loads but usually for specific applications. Which one do you want to replace?

Reply to
malc

Hi People,

Thanks for the input. I wias told by the Kevin Cooper guy today it is a H7, only I appear to have 2 x H7's on one side, and one H7 on the other with a H1!

So in effect, I need three H7's (I think). I sent an email over to powerbulbs, but no reply yet, and someone asked me to buy them some from fleabay so if they come in time, I can try theirs.

-Ben

Reply to
Wagg

  1. Remove required bulb.
  2. Walk into Motor Factor shop.
  3. Can I have one of these please.
Reply to
John

Thanks for the sarcasm.

1 done 2 done 3 Guy at my local shop doesnt know what type it was, KC had them but couldnt promise compatability, but autobulbs did it, I'm quite happy to reccomend them, ordered yesterday, here this morning.

-Ben

Reply to
Wagg

Just to say, I was looking for higher intensity bulbs for my focus when this thread popped up. I ordered a pair of H4's from PowerBulbs on Friday after seeing the "Buy One Get One Free" offer and got them the next morning - complete with an additional free set of sidelight bulbs! OK they are those silly blue tinted ones, but it's still £10 worth of free ;)

Reply to
Richard Parkin

The blue tint doesn't show when lit, thankfully.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I can see it over the white/yellow like ones, kind of like it actually, but definatly better than what was in there before!

-Ben

Reply to
Wagg