Where does tyre data come from?

Some tyre web sites ask for the car registration and then say what the tyres are.

(Such as

Is the tyre data just a simple of the make, model and year?

Or is the tyre data more specific to when that particular car was first registered or last MOTed or something like that?

Reply to
Jakki

Jakki gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Yep.

The registration is converted to make/model/year using extracts from DVLA's databases, and that's then looked up against manufacturer lists of standard & optional fit tyre sizes.

So checking my Saab's reg on that K-F link gives the standard fit 15", plus the 16" which would have been an option when it was new.

Reply to
Adrian

Adrian gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

(Oh, and checking a couple of other plates from the fleet shows one "This is the size, but we don't have 'em" and one "WTF is that?")

Reply to
Adrian

Heh, my old M reg Rover 416 is showing up - does that mean it's still running around somewhere?

Reply to
Halmyre

Yup, seems so.

I've checked two cars I used to own.

A 'C' reg Golf returns wheel sizes, a later 'E' reg Cavalier doesn't.

Reply to
Adrian C

Adrian C gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Checking a plate on there just means that it returns a result from the DVLA database. One that was scrapped in 2001 comes back with details.

If you want to find out if it's still likely to be alive, check the VED.

Reply to
Adrian

On 18 Feb 2009 17:35:34 GMT, I waved a wand and this message magically appears in front of Adrian:

I just entered a registration plate on my previous motor which I know was scrapped aeons ago, and it said it belonged to a Saab 9000! I've never owned a Saab in my whole life!

Reply to
Alex Buell

someone prolly bought the rego number, you'll be kicking your self for not cashing in on it now :)

Reply to
Gazz

Interesting that the site allows you to search without asking the make. DVLA's vehicle check asks for both the reg number _and_ the make, I assumed as a precaution against ruthless types with nefarious intent. I wonder if there's a rule being broken here?

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 11:21:39 -0000, I waved a wand and this message magically appears in front of Gazz:

No I confused the regos, I typed in the correct one just now and it seems someone's still driving around in my previous motor - looks like someone really did fix that engine after all :-D

Reply to
Alex Buell

It still comes up with cars though that I know have been scrapped. Only reliable way to tell is whether it's still taxed - www.vehiclelicence.= gov.uk will tell you that.

Reply to
andytucker

Neither do GM anymore :

Fred

Or see if it's insured:

Fred

Looks useless to me, only 2 out of ten vehicles came up, and they didn't have one of the sizes in stock !!

Reply to
Mrcheerful